Prove that v(t) is any vector that depends on time

In summary: No... do the exact opposite of what you did last time... so start with the end:2v.a = 0 now take the integral... from the last part, you know that the derivative of v.v is 2v.a , so what is the integral of 2v.a ?without doing part a, what would make you want to multiply by 2?just v.v
Oblio
Prove that v(t) is any vector that depends on time (for example the velocity of a moving particle) but which has constant magnitude, then [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t). Prove the converse that if [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t), then lv(t)l is constant. Hint: consder the derivative of v^2.

This is a very hand result. It explains why, in 2-D polars, d[tex]\hat{r}[/tex]/dt has to be in the direction of [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex] and vice versa. It also shows that the speed of a charged particle in a magnetic field is constant, since teh acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity.

How to I approach proving this? I'm also unclear on Orthogonal, which I'll look up now but if someone could explain this to compliment what I'm off to figure out, I'd appreciate it a great deal.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The trick is to use this equation [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v} = |\vec{v}|^2[/tex]

Try taking the derivative of both sides... see what happens.

How did you know that?

Oblio said:
How did you know that?

Just kind of guessed... They want orthogonality... Orthogonality means perpendicular... so I thought it probably had to do with dot products. I looked up the derivative of the dot product, and checked that this idea worked.

When you have a problem that has to do with orthogonality... or angles between vectors... and the magnitudes of the vectors... you're probably dealing with dot product or cross product...

haha. You's brilliant eh?

I'll let you know how it turns out

Oblio said:
haha. You's brilliant eh?

lol Nope. I wish. It's just experience. Just seen these types of problems so many times. So I kind of know what to expect.

I'll let you know how it turns out

cool.

I forget, do I treat v as a variable or does a vector differentiate differently?

Oblio said:
I forget, do I treat v as a variable or does a vector differentiate differently?

look up the rule for taking the derivative of a dot product.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DotProduct.html

The [tex]|\vec{v}|[/tex] is just a scalar... so just differentiate that normally, like an ordinary variable.

[tex]\vec{v}[/tex].[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{v}[/tex].[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] = 2l[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]l

Hows that look so far?

That's not actually equal is it?

Oblio said:
[tex]\vec{v}[/tex].[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] + [tex]\vec{v}[/tex].[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] = 2l[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]l

Hows that look so far?

Left side looks good. Right side you need to multiply that by [tex]\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex], using the chain rule. because you're taking the derviative wrt t.

Right... oops. (embarrasing)

that gives me
2[tex]\vec{v}[/tex][tex]\vec{a}[/tex] = 2l[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]l [tex]\vec{a}[/tex]

and v and a are perpendicular?

Oblio said:
Right... oops. (embarrasing)

that gives me
2[tex]\vec{v}[/tex][tex]\vec{a}[/tex] = 2l[tex]\vec{v}[/tex]l [tex]\vec{a}[/tex]

and v and a are perpendicular?

careful. left side looks good, but not the right side. [tex]\vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]. But [tex]\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex] isn't the same as [tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] (ie think of the velocity keeping the same magnitude but changing directions.)

You know the magnitude of the velocity is constant for this question, hence [tex]\frac{d|\vec{v}|}{dt}[/tex] is 0.

Right, the slope of a scalar.
So, 2va = 0?

Oblio said:
Right, the slope of a scalar.
So, 2va = 0?

yeah, [tex]2\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a} = 0[/tex]...hence [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a} = 0[/tex] if the dot product of two vectors is 0, then they are orthogonal/perpendicular.

To prove the converse that if [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t), (that v(t) is constant), do i start in the same manner?

a dv/dt + v da/dt = 0

this leaves me with the derivative of acceleration though...

Oblio said:
To prove the converse that if [tex]\dot{v}[/tex](t) is orthogonal to v(t), (that v(t) is constant), do i start in the same manner?

Do the same thing as the first part... except backwards...

basically it's just the reverse of the steps starting with the end...

start with [tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{a} = 0[/tex]

integrate instead of derive?

Oblio said:
integrate instead of derive?

yes, exactly.

which just leaves you with a dot product between position and v?

v.x = 0

Oblio said:
which just leaves you with a dot product between position and v?

v.x = 0

No... do the exact opposite of what you did last time...

so start with the end:

v.a = 0

now you can go to the previous step by multiplying by 2:

2v.a = 0

now take the integral... from the last part, you know that the derivative of v.v is 2v.a , so what is the integral of 2v.a ?

without doing part a, what would make you want to multiply by 2?

just v.v

Oblio said:
just v.v

Yes, and what happens to the right side?

i know i shoul get the magnitude of v.. but how from 0?

Oblio said:
i know i shoul get the magnitude of v.. but how from 0?

You're integrating both sides of:

2v.a = 0

what's the integral of the 0?

the scalar of v..

Oblio said:
the scalar of v..

yeah, it will turn out to be |v|^2... but when we integrate 0, we get C...

ie: integral of 0, is just a constant, so you can just call the right side C.

ie:

[tex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v} = C[/tex]

I need to work it to v^2?

Was the multiplying by two only by the knowledge of doing the first part?

Oblio said:
I need to work it to v^2?

Was the multiplying by two only by the knowledge of doing the first part?

yeah sort of... for the second part you somehow need to figure out that [tex]\frac{d(\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v})}{dt} = 2\vec{\frac{dv}{dt}}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]

we already proved this in the first part.

so yes, v.v = |v|^2

|v|^2 = C, so |v|=sqrt(C), which is a constant.

Alright, I wasn't sure if multiplying by two was also a reasonable 'step' without the preknowledge.