1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the derivative of the determinant equals the sum of the derivatives of ea/row

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1

syj

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

PROVE:
    If A(t) is nxn with elements which are differentiable functions of t
    Then:
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(A))=[itex]\sum[/itex]det(Ai(t))
    where Ai(t) is found by differentiating the ith row only.

2. Relevant equations
    I know I should prove this by induction on n

3. The attempt at a solution
    Consider the matrix A1 being a 1x1 matrix
    So n=1
    the derivative of the determinant is the same as the derivative of that one row, therefore the theorem holds for n=1

assume the proof will hold true for n=k call this matrix Ak

now prove the theorem holds true for n=k+1
    [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(Ak+1)) =[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(A1)+[itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex](det(Ak))
    AND
    [itex]\sum[/itex](det(Ak+1) = [itex]\sum[/itex]det(A1)+[itex]\sum[/itex]det(Ak)

Is this it?
    have I proved it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2
    Re: Prove the derivative of the determinant equals the sum of the derivatives of ea/r

I had posted the exact same question a while ago and was too lazy to solve it.

I can't understand how you justify your first equation.
    I can assure you the proof is much longer.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

syj

Re: Prove the derivative of the determinant equals the sum of the derivatives of ea/r

The determinant of a 1x1 matrix is equal to that one entry in the matrix isnt it?
    so the derivative of the determinant is equal to the derivative of the one function in A.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sounds like an excellent plan!
    Good.

Now, you have lost me. A "k+1 by k+ 1" determinant is NOT the sum of a 1 by 1 matrix and a k by k determinant which what you appear to be saying since you just use the "sum rule" for the derivative.

What is true is that a determinant can be "expanded" on one row. That is, we can, for example, expand by the first row. The k+1 by k+1 determinant is the sum of each entry in the first row time (plus or minus) the k by k matrix got by removing the first row and appropriate column. Use that to do a proof by induction.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5

syj

:blushing:
    I knew there was something fishy about my proof.
    It just seemed too simple
    I shall try to follow your advice ;)
    I guarantee I shall be posting questions soon :)
    thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook