1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the following integral

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that the ∫01 f(x) = ∫01f(1-x)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got all the way to ∫01-f(u) du where u = 1-x but I don;t know how to prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you substitute the integration variable the limits also change.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    Okay, so -∫1 f(u) du = ∫01f(u) du. but how do i relate this to ∫f(x)?

5. Nov 17, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does not matter how do you name the integration variable. It can be x instead of u. The function is the same, and so are the limits.

6. Nov 17, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't you see that ##\int_0^1 f(x) \, dx = \int_0^1 f(u) \, du = \int_0^1 f(\text{anything}) \, d\text{anything}##?

7. Nov 17, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

To elaborate on what Ray said, I have added variables in the limits of integration to emphasize that in each integral we have a different dummy variable.
    $$ \int_{x = 0}^1 f(x) \, dx = \int_{u = 0}^1 f(u) \, du = \int_{\text{anything} = 0}^1 f(\text{anything}) \, d\text{anything}$$

When you use substution to change the variable of integration, you need to either change the limits of integration (which was not done in the above) or undo the substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted