1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the following

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the link

2. Relevant equations
    In the link

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I tried expanding the sum as a power of 2 over a power of 3, but I failed.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I was not able to open the file. Why not just put the problem and your work directly into the form?

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The statement was: prove that every positive integer can be represented in the form
    [tex] \frac{2^a}{3^b} -\sum_{k=0}^b \frac{2^{c_k}}{3^k}, \\
    \text{where } a, b, c_k \text{ are integers },1 = c_0 < c_1 < c_2 < \cdots . [/tex]

It does not say whether or not the a and b are allowed to vary with the integer n to be represented, or whether a and/or b are supposed to be fixed.

RGV

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  5. Sep 19, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Start by writing the number in base three. Then you have the number as a sum of negative powers of three with all numerators either 1 or 2. Those with are what you want. If there is a numerator of 1, combine fractions.

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5
    @Ray a and b are allowed to vary, but they have to be integral.
    @Mark I do not know how to use the codes
    @HallsofIvy I am pretty sure that the answer does not involve different bases. The expression is merely a subtraction of powers of 2 over powers of 3.

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6
    Truth be told, this isn't a homework question for school. This is merely a question on a recent math competition that I have not answered and I want to know.

8. Sep 20, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which is a question of base 3, pretty much by definition!

9. Sep 20, 2012 #8
    However it will get just as complicated as in base ten because of all the powers of 2

10. Sep 23, 2012 #9
    Suppose we can approach it in a different way. We can just sum up the terms in the summation and define a "simpler" term, which we can then subtract from the first term.

11. Sep 24, 2012 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it won't. Every integer, written is base three, is, by definition, of the form [itex]\sum_{i=0}^N a_i/3^i[/itex] where each [itex]a_i[/itex], because it is a base 3 digit, is either 0, or 1= 20, or 2= 21.

12. Sep 25, 2012 #11
    I am just looking for an answer, nothing more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook