Can the image of f(x)=\cos x + i \sin x be proven to be the unit circle?

In summary: My bad. You're right =)In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the image of a function defined by f(x)=\cos x + i \sin x is the unit circle. One approach is to prove that the function takes on all possible values and that its absolute value is always 1. Another approach is to prove that for each real x, the mapping x\rightarrow\exp(ix) is a point on the complex unit circle, and that for each point on the complex unit circle, there exists a real x that maps to this point via this same mapping. The conversation also addresses counterexamples and clarifies that a function defined by a single point on the circle would not be a valid counterexample.
CrumpledPaper
I stumbled across this question while self-learning topology, and I am not sure how to proceed. I need to prove that the image of [tex]f(x)=\cos x + i \sin x[/tex] is the unit circle. The statement is obvious, which makes it all the harder for me to figure out what I actually need to do!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
it's not

That's strange. What am I missing?

actually i have no idea about how complex functions work. for all i know it might well be.

Last edited:
First off, you need to specify what the domain of f is for this question to make sense!

Welcome to PF!

CrumpledPaper said:
I stumbled across this question while self-learning topology, and I am not sure how to proceed. I need to prove that the image of [tex]f(x)=\cos x + i \sin x[/tex] is the unit circle. The statement is obvious, which makes it all the harder for me to figure out what I actually need to do!

Hi CrumpledPaper! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(ignore ice … it's this hot weather! :wink:)

I supsect they want you to prove that |f(x)| = 1, and that arg(f(x)) takes on all possible values. :smile:

The question examines [tex]f:\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex]

tiny-tim, thanks for your help. I understand the "unit" portion of the proof. My difficulty is precisely in understanding how to prove that the function takes on all possible values. I thought a circle could be defined as [tex]x(t) = \cos t[/tex] and [tex]y(t) = \sin t[/tex], in which case I feel like there's nothing left to prove. Could you provide me with a first step so I see what a rigorous proof of this would entail? Thanks!

tiny-tim said:
Hi CrumpledPaper! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(ignore ice … it's this hot weather! :wink:)

I supsect they want you to prove that |f(x)| = 1, and that arg(f(x)) takes on all possible values. :smile:

lol @arg(f(x)) taking on all all possible values, the domain of f(x) is all reals because the domain of cos and sin are all reals. actually that's not rigorous at all

ice109 said:
lol @arg(f(x)) taking on all all possible values, the domain of f(x) is all reals because the domain of cos and sin are all reals. actually that's not rigorous at all

What would constitute a rigorous proof for this problem?

CrumpledPaper said:
What would constitute a rigorous proof for this problem?
That depends on what your definition of the "unit circle" is. A common definition that doesn't completely trivialize the problem is: { z in C : |z|=1 }.

I don't seem to be getting anywhere still. Here's the complete problem:

Let the function [tex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] be defined by [tex]f(x) = \cos x + i \sin x[/tex] for each real [tex]x[/tex]. If [tex]a + ib[/tex] is a complex number, then its absolute value is [tex]\left|a + ib\right| = (a^2 + b^2)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]; it is clear that [tex]\left| f(x) \right| = 1[/tex] for each real [tex]x[/tex]. Hence the image of [tex]f[/tex] lies on the circle of unit radius which is centered at the origin in the plane. The function [tex]f[/tex] may be visualized as assigning to each real number the point on that circle arrived at by going counterclockwise around the circle a distance [tex]x[/tex], starting at [tex]1 = 1 + i0; x < 0[/tex] requires the distance [tex] \left| x \right| [/tex] in the clockwise direction. This makes it clear that the image of [tex]f[/tex] equals the unit circle; can you prove it rigorously?

Prove that
  1. For each real x, the mapping [tex]x\rightarrow\exp(ix)[/tex] is a point on the complex unit circle.
  2. For each point on the complex unit circle there exists a real x that maps to this point via this same mapping.

D H said:
Prove that
  1. For each real x, the mapping [tex]x\rightarrow\exp(ix)[/tex] is a point on the complex unit circle.
  2. For each point on the complex unit circle there exists a real x that maps to this point via this same mapping.

Excellent. Thanks.

why don't you just take the norm of the function? it'll be 1

ice109 said:
why don't you just take the norm of the function? it'll be 1
That shows the image of [itex]\exp(ix)[/itex] is a subset of the complex unit circle. It does not show that the image is the complex unit circle.

Edited to add:
As a counterexample, consider the function [itex]f(x)=1[/itex]. While the norm of this function is always one, that fact alone does not suffice to show the image of this function is the complex unit circle (which obviously is not the case).

Last edited:
D H said:
That shows the image of [itex]\exp(ix)[/itex] is a subset of the complex unit circle. It does not show that the image is the complex unit circle.

Edited to add:
As a counterexample, consider the function [itex]f(x)=1[/itex]. While the norm of this function is always one, that fact alone does not suffice to show the image of this function is the complex unit circle (which obviously is not the case).

Good point, although in this case I don't think [tex]f(x)=1[/tex] is a valid counterexample because the norm is not one in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] for all points along the line (i.e. [tex](1 + 100i)[/tex]). A better counterexample would be a function defined by any single point on the circle.

CrumpledPaper said:
Good point, although in this case I don't think [tex]f(x)=1[/tex] is a valid counterexample because the norm is not one in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] for all points along the line (i.e. [tex](1 + 100i)[/tex]). A better counterexample would be a function defined by any single point on the circle.
f(x)=1 is identically one for all x. In other words, its image is a single point on the unit circle.

D H said:
f(x)=1 is identically one for all x. In other words, its image is a single point on the unit circle.

My bad. You're right =)

1. What is the definition of a circle?

A circle is a 2-dimensional shape that is defined as a set of points that are equidistant from a central point, known as the center.

2. How can you prove that an image is a circle?

To prove that an image is a circle, you can check if all the points on the image are equidistant from the center. You can also measure the diameter of the image, which should be the same length at any angle.

3. What mathematical properties are unique to circles?

Circles have several unique mathematical properties, including having a constant circumference, being able to inscribe a regular polygon, and having a constant ratio of the circumference and diameter (pi).

4. Can a circle have a negative radius?

No, a circle cannot have a negative radius. The radius of a circle is the distance from the center to any point on the circle, and distance cannot be negative. However, a circle can have a negative orientation, meaning that it is rotated in the opposite direction.

5. How do circles relate to other shapes in geometry?

Circles are closely related to other shapes in geometry, such as ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas. They also have connections to triangles, as a circle can be inscribed in a triangle and a triangle can be inscribed in a circle.