Integral Proof: u^2-a^2 | Detailed Explanation

• Thread starter inquisitive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation was about finding the proof for the integral \int du/(u^2-a^2) and two methods were proposed: substitution and partial fraction decomposition. The conversation ended with one person figuring out the solution and thanking the others for their help.
inquisitive
Anyone please help I need a detailed proof of this integral
[itex]
\int du/(u^2-a^2) = (1/2a) ln (u+a)/(u-a) + C
[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
haveyou tried taking the derivative of the RHS?

You get the answer by taking u=a*sec y =>y=arcsec u/a(arcsec-sec inverse)
=>du=a sec y tan y dy
Therefore I=integral[(a sec y tan y dy)/a^2 tan^2 y]
=>(sec y dy)/(a tan y)
=>cosec y dy /a
=>ln(cosec y-cot y)/a
then just substitute value of y to get the answer

You could also do this by partial fraction decomposition.

inquisitive said:
Anyone please help I need a detailed proof of this integral
[itex]
\int du/(u^2-a^2) = (1/2a) ln (u+a)/(u-a) + C
[/itex]

You need to show that you've attempted the problem.

Thanks guys...
The solution swapnilster proposed is correct. I also did his solution before. But after the trigonometric substitution I was stuck at the answer
[itex]

\frac{1}{2}ln \frac{(u+a)}{\sqrt{u^2-a^2}}+ C

[/itex]
This is where I started to need some help from you guys. But after some time I realized to arrive to the form
[itex]

\frac{1}{2a}ln \frac{u+a}{u-a}+ C;

[/itex]
I just need to put the (u+a) term inside the radical and apply some algebra and properties of logarithms. But anyway, thanks again guys.

Last edited:
As pointed out by MathWonk, a perfectly valid method of proving that a given function is an anti-derivative is to differentiate it. That, typically, is easier than trying to integrate "from scratch".

1. What is an integral proof?

An integral proof is a mathematical method for proving an equation or statement by using the concept of integrals. It involves breaking down the equation into smaller parts and analyzing their integrals to show that they are equal.

2. What is the significance of u^2-a^2 in the integral proof?

The expression u^2-a^2 is known as a difference of squares, which is a commonly used expression in integral proofs. It helps to simplify the equation and make it easier to integrate and prove.

3. How does the integral proof for u^2-a^2 work?

The integral proof for u^2-a^2 involves using the formula for the integral of a difference of squares, which is (u^2-a^2) = [(u-a)(u+a)] and then using the properties of integrals to prove that it is equal to the original equation.

4. Can you provide a detailed explanation of the steps involved in an integral proof for u^2-a^2?

First, we rewrite the equation as (u^2-a^2) = [(u-a)(u+a)]. Then, we use the properties of integrals to split the integral into two parts, one for (u-a) and one for (u+a). Next, we integrate each part separately and combine them back together to get the final result of (u^2-a^2) = [(u-a)(u+a)]. This shows that the integral of the original equation is equal to the integral of the difference of squares.

5. How is the integral proof for u^2-a^2 applied in real-life situations?

The integral proof for u^2-a^2 is a fundamental method in calculus and is used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating areas, volumes, and work done. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.