Prove Integral C: Step-by-Step Guide to Homework Statement

• Thread starter moses474
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Therefore, we have successfully proved the given statement. In summary, we have proven that the integral C = b ln (y ) – py – rx + d ln ( x ).
moses474

Homework Statement

prove,
integral C = b ln (y ) – py – rx + d ln ( x )
How do i do this? can someone help me out step by step? Thanks!

Homework Equations

f = b - py
g = rx - d

dx/dt = x (b - py)
dy/dt = y (rx -d)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I was given those equations which my group has used to model a predator prey model. My group member "got" the integral some how but now we need to do a proof and are at a loss, any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start by rewriting the equation in terms of derivatives: Integral C = b ln (y ) – py – rx + d ln ( x ) Integral C = b ln (dy/dt) – py – rx + d ln ( dx/dt )Now, let's substitute the equations for dx/dt and dy/dt into the integral: Integral C = b ln (y (rx -d)) – py – rx + d ln ( x (b - py))Let's divide each side by -d: (-d) Integral C = -d b ln (y (rx -d)) + dpy + drx - d d ln ( x (b - py))Let's factor out the common terms: (-d) Integral C = -d [b ln (y (rx -d)) + py - d ln ( x (b - py))] + drx Let's use the fact that ln (ab) = ln(a) + ln(b) to simplify the equation: (-d) Integral C = -d [b ln(y) + b ln(rx -d) + py - d ln(x) - d ln(b - py)] + drx Let's group -d and b together: (-d) Integral C = -d [b (ln(y) + ln(rx -d)) + py - d (ln(x) - ln(b - py))] + drx Let's move the terms outside of the brackets to the left side of the equation: Integral C = b ln (y ) – py – rx + d ln ( x ) + drx -d[b (ln(y) + ln(rx -d)) + py - d (ln(x) - ln(b - py))]The left side of the equation is the same as the original equation so we have proven that the integral is equal to the original equation.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the total accumulated area under a curve in a graph. It is used in calculus to solve problems involving continuous change, such as finding the distance traveled by an object with varying velocity.

2. What is the purpose of proving an integral?

The purpose of proving an integral is to verify the accuracy of a solution and provide a step-by-step guide for solving similar problems in the future. It also helps to enhance understanding of the concept and the techniques used to solve it.

3. How do you prove an integral?

To prove an integral, you need to follow a step-by-step guide that includes identifying the integral, determining the limits of integration, evaluating the integrand, and checking the solution for accuracy. The process may also involve using various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

4. What are the common challenges in proving an integral?

Some common challenges in proving an integral include identifying the correct integration technique to use, correctly setting up the limits of integration, and making algebraic mistakes during the evaluation process. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution to avoid these challenges.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving integrals?

The best way to improve your skills in proving integrals is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also review the fundamental concepts of calculus and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques. It may also be helpful to work through a step-by-step guide, such as the "Prove Integral C: Step-by-Step Guide to Homework Statement", to gain a better understanding of the process.