1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the limit help

1. Oct 31, 2004 #1
    Hi...
    I have to prove that the limit as n->oo of n^(1/n) is 1
    as n->oo (1/n)-> 0, which means that n^(1/n) ->1
    i was wondering though if you could prove this differently using the definition of the limit ( with epsilon ) or maybe take derivatives..?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, your proof is wrong. Notice that your approach would also "prove" that

[tex]
    \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n
    = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (n^n)^{(1/n)}
    [/tex]

would also be 1.

Exponents are messy things -- try applying a logarithm to convert the problem into an easier one.

4. Nov 1, 2004 #3

actualy i think his proof is correct, but your limit is incorrect let me explain:
    if you "go" with the limit into the exponent of N (you can do that because N is defined on whole R) the you get->
    [tex]
    \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} n(1/n)
    [/tex]

n goes to infinity and 1/n goes to 0. But you always have to remember that oo is not a number its just a symbol so you cannot say that oo*0 is 0. 0*oo can be any R number even 1. Try to think about it, its a bit difficult but in the in the end its quite understandable

5. Nov 1, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to go rechcek the statement of the relevant limit theorems.

6. Nov 1, 2004 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've missed the point of Hurkyl's example and are missing your own advice on treating indeterminate limits with care. b0mb0nika had a limit of the indeterminate form [tex]\infty^{0}[/tex]. Because it was of this form he (wrongly) concluded that the limit would be 1. Hurkyl gave a limit of the form [tex]\infty^{0}[/tex] that is easily manipulated into a limit that is clearly not 1, showing the error in b0mb0nika's approach to limits of this type.

For the original limit try using log's as already suggested, [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}n^{1/n}=\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}e^{\frac{1}{n}\log{n}}[/tex]

You should be able to find [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{n}\log{n}[/tex] without too much trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?