Prove the Limit Statement: Is There a Way to Find δ Given ε and L?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: So, you have 3 parts to work out. In your example, you did step two, and you saw that, in order to make sure you have the right y, you have to select delta=epsilon.
Saladsamurai
:smile:

Problem

I've just kind of been 'going through the motions,' but I feel like the Precise Definition of a Limit is about to set in.

I think some questions about this example should help.

Prove the Limit Statement:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow4}(9-x)=5[/tex]

Attempt

So by asserting that the limit is indeed '5' we are implying that there exists some [itex]\delta[/itex] such that for all 'x'

[itex]0<|x-x_o|<\delta\Rightarrow|f(x)-5|<\epsilon[/itex]

So:

[itex]\-\epsilon<(9-x)-5<\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]-\epsilon-4<-x<\epsilon-4[/itex]

[itex]4-\epsilon<x<\epsilon+4[/itex]

[itex]\therefore[/itex]

[itex]\, -\epsilon<x-4<\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]|x-4|<\epsilon=\delta[/itex]

Now I am a little confused. Have I actually done anything?

Have I shown that so long as I stay within [itex]\delta=\epsilon \text{ of }x_o[/itex] I can get within a distance of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of 'L.'

Because that's what i am under the impression I have done. But I am not confident about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about saying that 9 - x is a polynomial function and thus continuous.

VeeEight said:
How about saying that 9 - x is a polynomial function and thus continuous.

Though I can appreciate the simplicity/brevity, that is not the purpose of the exercise.

it is to use the def'n of a limit.

Keep in mind that you want to show that given any [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] you can find a [tex]\delta[/tex] that works.

You've done the hard part. Your argument is what might be called an exploratory argument. You started out to see how to get [tex] |(9x-5)-4 | < \epsilon[/tex] and wound up with [tex]| x-4| < \epsilon[/tex].

Now to prove the limit statement you wish to prove that given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] you can find [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that if [tex] 0 < |x-4| < \delta[/tex] then
[tex] |(9x-5)-4 | < \epsilon[/tex]

So start your final writeup like this:

Suppose [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. Let [tex]\delta = \epsilon[/tex]. (You know this is going to work from your exploratory argument, but you don't need to include that here.) Now you proceed: If [tex] 0 < |x-4| < \delta[/tex] then...now write your exploratory argument in reverse and end up with [tex] |(9x-5)-4 | < \epsilon[/tex]. That shows your [tex]\delta[/tex] works and you are done.

`
Saladsamurai said:

Problem

I've just kind of been 'going through the motions,' but I feel like the Precise Definition of a Limit is about to set in.

I think some questions about this example should help.

Prove the Limit Statement:

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow4}(9-x)=5[/tex]

Attempt

So by asserting that the limit is indeed '5' we are implying that there exists some [itex]\delta[/itex] such that for all 'x'

[itex]0<|x-x_o|<\delta\Rightarrow|f(x)-5|<\epsilon[/itex]

So:

[itex]\-\epsilon<(9-x)-5<\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]-\epsilon-4<-x<\epsilon-4[/itex]

[itex]4-\epsilon<x<\epsilon+4[/itex]

[itex]\therefore[/itex]

[itex]\, -\epsilon<x-4<\epsilon[/itex]

[itex]|x-4|<\epsilon=\delta[/itex]

Now I am a little confused. Have I actually done anything?

Have I shown that so long as I stay within [itex]\delta=\epsilon \text{ of }x_o[/itex] I can get within a distance of [itex]\epsilon[/itex] of 'L.'

Because that's what i am under the impression I have done. But I am not confident about it.

That is what is sometimes referred to as "synthetic proof". You have gone from what you want to prove, [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex], to your hypothesis, [itex]|x-a|< \delta[/itex]. The "real" proof is the other way, but as long as you are sure all of yours steps are reversible you don't need to state them.

A "real" proof would start, "Given [itex]\epsilon[/itex], choose [itex]\delta= \epsilon[/itex]. The [itex]|x- 4|< \delta= \epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]-\epsilon< x- 4< \epsilon. [itex]-\epsilon< (9- x)- 5< \epsilon[/itex], [itex]|(9- x)- 5|= |f(x)- 5|< \epsilon[/itex]

But, as I said, as long as it is clear that all of your steps, in working from [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to [itex]delta[/itex], are reversible, you don't need to work from [itex]\delta[/itex] to [itex]\delta[/itex]. What you wrote is perfectly valid.

LCKurtz said:
Keep in mind that you want to show that given any [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] you can find a [tex]\delta[/tex] that works.

You've done the hard part. Your argument is what might be called an exploratory argument. You started out to see how to get [tex] |(9x-5)-4 | < \epsilon[/tex] and wound up with [tex]| x-4| < \epsilon[/tex].

Now to prove the limit statement you wish to prove that given [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] you can find [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that if [tex] 0 < |x-4| < \delta[/tex] then
[tex] |(9x-5)-4 | < \epsilon[/tex]

So start your final writeup like this:

Suppose [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. Let [tex]\delta = \epsilon[/tex]. (You know this is going to work from your exploratory argument, but you don't need to include that here.) Now you proceed: If [tex] 0 < |x-4| < \delta[/tex] then...now write your exploratory argument in reverse and end up with [tex] |(9x-5)-4 | < \epsilon[/tex]. That shows your [tex]\delta[/tex] works and you are done.

HallsofIvy said:
`
That is what is sometimes referred to as "synthetic proof". You have gone from what you want to prove, [itex]|f(x)- L|< \epsilon[/itex], to your hypothesis, [itex]|x-a|< \delta[/itex]. The "real" proof is the other way, but as long as you are sure all of yours steps are reversible you don't need to state them.

A "real" proof would start, "Given [itex]\epsilon[/itex], choose [itex]\delta= \epsilon[/itex]. The [itex]|x- 4|< \delta= \epsilon[/itex] so that [itex]-\epsilon< x- 4< \epsilon. [itex]-\epsilon< (9- x)- 5< \epsilon[/itex], [itex]|(9- x)- 5|= |f(x)- 5|< \epsilon[/itex]

But, as I said, as long as it is clear that all of your steps, in working from [itex]\epsilon[/itex] to [itex]delta[/itex], are reversible, you don't need to work from [itex]\delta[/itex] to [itex]\delta[/itex]. What you wrote is perfectly valid.

OK great :smile: Thanks for the pointers. Just another quick question:

When starting the right way, you both said to "choose epsilon=delta."

Assume that I didn't already know that was the case. I would still make that assumption right? And if it was not the case that epsilon=delta ... what would happen?

I get the feeling I would just end up with delta being some function of epsilon (or vice versa).

Casey

Assume that I didn't already know that was the case. I would still make that assumption right? And if it was not the case that epsilon=delta ... what would happen?

In general, epsilon=delta won't suffice (it works here basically because your function is linear with slope 1, so if you make a small change of delta in x, you've made the exact same change in y). Instead, by doing the process of starting with |f(x)-potential limit|<epsilon, you can "solve" the inequality to see what x needs to be. As an example, show that

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0}(2x+1)=1[/tex]

Without using any algebra of limits stuff. You'll see immediately that epsilon=delta won't suffice

In general δ is dependent on ε and L. Also if δ suffices then any δ' where 0 < δ' < δ also suffices.

The synthetic process mentioned earlier is usually how δ is determined and once it is found the formal proof begins with "Assume ε > 0 is given, let δ = ..." and the impliction

[tex]0 < \left| x - a \right| < \delta \Rightarrow \left| f(x) - L \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

is shown.

The synthetic part is scratchwork (usually) and is frequently omitted, leading to a lot of "how'd they get that?" moments.

--Elucidus

Saladsamurai said:
OK great :smile: Thanks for the pointers. Just another quick question:

When starting the right way, you both said to "choose epsilon=delta."

I get the feeling I would just end up with delta being some function of epsilon (or vice versa).

Casey

You don't "choose epsilon=delta.". epsilon is given and you choose delta = epsilon (in this problem). Delta will usually depend on epsilon and the point of your exploratory argument is to figure out a function of epsilon to set delta to make it work.

Elucidus said:
In general δ is dependent on ε and L. Also if δ suffices then any δ' where 0 < δ' < δ also suffices.

The synthetic process mentioned earlier is usually how δ is determined and once it is found the formal proof begins with "Assume ε > 0 is given, let δ = ..." and the impliction

The synthetic part is scratchwork (usually) and is frequently omitted, leading to a lot of "how'd they get that?" moments.

--Elucidus

Ah, I see :smile:

That is a little frustrating. Thank you.

What is the definition of a limit statement?

A limit statement is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values approach a certain point.

How do you prove a limit statement?

The most common method for proving a limit statement is using the epsilon-delta definition. This involves showing that for any given epsilon (a small positive number), there exists a corresponding delta (a small positive number) such that the distance between the input value and the limit point is less than delta, and the distance between the output value and the limit point is less than epsilon.

What is the role of limits in calculus?

Limits play a crucial role in calculus as they allow us to study the behavior of functions at specific points, even when the function may not be defined at that point. They also help us to determine the continuity and differentiability of functions, which are essential concepts in calculus.

Can a limit statement have more than one answer?

No, a limit statement can only have one answer. The limit of a function at a particular point is a unique value that describes the behavior of the function at that point.

Why is proving limit statements important?

Proving limit statements is essential because it allows us to rigorously understand the behavior of functions and make accurate predictions about their values. This is crucial in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, where precise calculations are necessary.