Showcasing Limits: Proving $\lim_{x\rightarrow2}\frac{1}{x^2}=\frac{1}{4}$

• Thread starter H2Pendragon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
implies3<|x+2|<5implies9<|x+2|^2<25implies9<|x^2+4x+4|<25implies9-4<|x^2+4x+4|-4<25-4implies5<|x^2+4x|<21implies5<|x(x+4)|<21implies5<|x-2||x+2|<21implies5<|x-2||x+2|<21implies\frac{5}{4}<\frac{|x-2||
H2Pendragon

Homework Statement

Use the definition of limits to show that
[tex]lim _{x\rightarrow 2} \frac{1}{x^{2}} = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists \delta > 0, x \in D, 0 < |x-2| < \delta \Rightarrow |\frac{1}{x^{2}} - \frac{1}{4}| < \epsilon [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]|\frac{1}{x^{2}} - \frac{1}{4}| < \epsilon \Rightarrow |\frac{4-x^{2}}{4x^{2}}| < \epsilon \Rightarrow \frac{|4-x^{2}|}{4x^{2}} < \epsilon [/tex]

[tex]Restrict: 1 < x < 3 \Rightarrow 4<4x^{2}<36 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{36} < \frac{1}{4x^{2}} < \frac{1}{4} \Rightarrow \frac{|4-x^{2}|}{36} < \frac{|4-x^{2}|}{4x^{2}} < \frac{|4-x^{2}|}{4} < \epsilon[/tex]

And now I'm stuck. I'm trying to find delta based on epsilon. Normally the problems come to a neat little solution, but |4-x2| is not |x-2| and trying to get it to equal |x-2| is where I'm having the trouble.

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]|4-x^2|=|x^2-4|=|(x-2)(x+2)|=[/itex]____?

gabbagabbahey said:
[itex]|4-x^2|=|x^2-4|=|(x-2)(x+2)|=[/itex]____?

Yeah I got that far. I know that
[tex]|(x-2)||(x+2)| < 4\epsilon[/tex]

But that still leaves that (x+2) there (which I can remove the absolute value from since it has to be positive). I can't have delta dependent on x.

I'm probably missing something blatant and obvious right here.

Last edited:
Well, you've restricted your domain to between 1 and 3, so... __?__[itex]\leq|x+2|\leq[/itex]__?__ ...then simply choose epsilon to be greater than the upper bound of [tex]\frac{|x-2||x+2|}{4}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
Well, you've restricted your domain to between 1 and 3, so... __?__[itex]\leq|x+2|\leq[/itex]__?__ ...then simply choose epsilon to be greater than the upper bound of [tex]\frac{|x-2||x+2|}{4}[/tex]

ah, duh, thanks. 3 < |x+2| < 5 (since x+2 is positive with or without the absolute value)

So then

[tex]\frac{|x-2||x+2|}{4} \leq \frac{5*|x-2|}{4} < \epsilon [/tex]

Thus [tex]|x-2| < \frac{4}{5}\epsilon[/tex]

Thus if [tex]\delta = \frac{4}{5}\epsilon \Rightarrow |f(x) - \frac{1}{4}| < \epsilon[/tex]Thanks so much.

1<x<3
implies
3<x+2<5

What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

Why is it important to prove that a limit exists?

Proving that a limit exists helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point and allows us to make accurate predictions about the function's values. It also helps us determine if a function is continuous at a certain point.

How do you prove a limit using the epsilon-delta definition?

To prove a limit using the epsilon-delta definition, you must show that for any positive value of epsilon (ε), there exists a corresponding positive value of delta (δ) such that when the input of the function is within delta (δ) units of the limit value, the output of the function is within epsilon (ε) units of the limit value.

What is the purpose of using algebraic manipulation in proving a limit?

Algebraic manipulation allows us to simplify a function and make it easier to analyze its behavior. By manipulating the function, we can see how its output changes as its input approaches a particular value, which is essential in proving a limit.

How can we use limits to solve real-world problems?

Limits have many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, limits can be used to determine the maximum speed of a moving object or the maximum profit a company can make. They can also be used to model and predict the behavior of systems and processes in the physical world.