Prove the Power Rule (calculus)

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem that asks to prove the power rule for rational numbers using implicit differentiation. The method involves writing y=x^(p/q) in the form y^q = x^p and differentiating implicitly, assuming that p and q are integers where q>0. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and seeking help from others.
mattxr250
Ok guys, I'm new here and I need some help with a math problem...

The problem asks me to prove the power rule ---> d/dx[x^n] = nx^(n-1) for the case in which n is a ratioinal number...

the one stipulation is that I have to prove it using this method: write y=x^(p/q) in the form y^q = x^p and differentiate implicitly...assume that p and q are integers, where q>0.

Thanks for any help

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to assume that "d/dx[x^n] = nx^(n-1)" is true for n = an integer?

Have you differentiated "y^q = x^p" implicitly yet ?

yes I have and I came up with...

q(y^(q-1))(dy/dx) = p(x^(p-1))

but I'm stuck after I get here...i guess I could isolate dy/dx, but I'm not sure where to go from there...any help?

Well, do you know what y is?

if y = x^(p/q)
then
y' = (p/q)x^(p/q - 1)

Use the expression you got for for the implicit differentiatoin and the expression y^q = x^p and manipulatre them to end up with the required result, shown above.

What is the Power Rule in calculus?

The Power Rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a function raised to a power. It states that if f(x) = x^n, then the derivative of f(x) is n*x^(n-1).

How do you prove the Power Rule in calculus?

The Power Rule can be proved using the definition of a derivative, which is the limit of the difference quotient. By applying the limit definition to f(x) = x^n, we can show that the derivative is indeed n*x^(n-1).

Why is the Power Rule important in calculus?

The Power Rule is important in calculus because it is a fundamental rule that is used to find the derivatives of many functions. It allows us to easily find the derivative of any polynomial function, which is a common type of function in mathematics.

Can the Power Rule be applied to functions with negative exponents?

Yes, the Power Rule can be applied to functions with negative exponents. In fact, it can be extended to any real number exponent, not just positive integers. The only restriction is that the base of the function must be a constant.

What are some common mistakes when using the Power Rule in calculus?

One common mistake when using the Power Rule is forgetting to multiply the derivative by the exponent. Another mistake is forgetting to subtract 1 from the exponent when finding the derivative. It is also important to remember to apply the Power Rule to the entire function, not just the base.