Prove the scalar product

In summary, the conversation revolved around proving the equation ##\cos\theta=\cos\alpha\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cos\gamma'## using geometric considerations. The participants discussed the use of the scalar product and the cosine rule, and ultimately arrived at a proof using the triangle formed by vectors A and B. The final result was satisfactory and the conversation ended with gratitude towards tommyxu3 for their contribution.
Karol
Two lines A and B. The angle between them is θ, their direction cosines are (α,β,γ) and (α',β',γ'). Prove, ON GEOMETRIC CONSIDERATIONS:
##\cos\theta=\cos\alpha\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cos\gamma'##

I posted this question long ago and i was told that this is the scalar product and i accepted then, but now i read further in the book and they explain the scalar product but still want the geometric proof.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 440
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean, "On GEOMETRIC CONSIDERATIONS"?

Do you mean you want a proof without using vectors?

well i don't know, i think without since i was asked at the beginning of studying vectors. the book explained the inner product and the equation i gave, but asked to prove it on geometric basis.
I was told that the cosine rule is involved but i don't know how:
$$C^2=A^2+B^2-2AB\cos\theta\;\rightarrow C^2=1+1-2\cos\theta$$
$$C^2=\cos^2\alpha+\cos^2\beta+\cos^2\gamma+\cos^2\alpha'+\cos^2\beta'+\cos^2\gamma'-2\cos\theta$$

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 410
If you regarded ##A,B## as two unit vectors, then their scalar product would be what you write.
For $$A\cdot B=|A||B|\cos\theta=x_Ax_B+y_Ay_B+z_Az_B,$$
then $$1\cdot1\cdot\cos\theta=\cos\alpha\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cos\gamma'.$$

the law of cosines and the dot product formula are two equivalent statements. you can derive one from the other, so i don't think it matters which you use

cpsinkule said:
the law of cosines and the dot product formula are two equivalent statements. you can derive one from the other, so i don't think it matters which you use
Why do you think they are equivalent?
Moreover, here using cosine law may be harder to get the anticipated result.

tommyxu3 said:
Why do you think they are equivalent?
Moreover, here using cosine law may be harder to get the anticipated result.
if you take the dot product formula as being true, then you can derive the law of cosines

if you take the law of cosines to be true, you can derive the dot product formula

The book asked to prove
$$\cos\theta=\cos\alpha\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cos\gamma'$$
Before they taught the dot product, and they said i have to prove it with trigonometric considerations.
I made a mistake in writing in the OP about the dot product since when i was asked to prove it i wasn't expected to know about the dot product.

Yes, then you could use cosine law.
For ##A=(\cos\alpha,\cos\beta,\cos\gamma),B=(\cos\alpha',\cos\beta',\cos\gamma'),## the triangle they make may have the third side, which we can present it as a vector ##C## that ##C=A-B=(\cos\alpha-\cos\alpha',\cos\beta-\cos\beta',\cos\gamma-\cos\gamma').##
Now use cosine law:
$$|C|^2=|A|^2+|B|^2-2|A||B|\cos\theta$$
$$\Rightarrow(\cos\alpha-\cos\alpha')^2+(\cos\beta-\cos\beta')^2+(\cos\gamma-\cos\gamma')^2=(\cos\alpha)^2+(\cos\beta)^2+(\cos\gamma)^2+(\cos\alpha')^2+(\cos\beta')^2+(\cos\gamma')^2-2\cdot 1\cdot 1\cdot \cos\theta$$
$$\Rightarrow\cos\theta=\cos\alpha\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cos\gamma'$$
##Q.E.D.##

Likes Karol
I thank you very much tommyxu3, i am not sure that that is what they meant by trigonometric considerations, especially not the presentation of C as the subtraction of 2 vectors but it's good and the best i had, it really satisfied me, tommyxu3, thanks

1. What is the scalar product?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a scalar value as the output. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of each vector and then summing them together.

2. How is the scalar product calculated?

The scalar product is calculated by multiplying the magnitude (or length) of one vector by the magnitude of the other vector and then multiplying the result by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

3. What is the significance of the scalar product?

The scalar product has several important applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work, energy, and power in mechanics, as well as determining the angle between two vectors and finding the projection of one vector onto another.

4. How is the scalar product represented mathematically?

The scalar product is represented mathematically as A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them. Alternatively, it can also be represented using the dot notation, such as A · B or A • B.

5. How is the scalar product related to the vector components?

The scalar product is related to the vector components by multiplying the corresponding components of each vector and then summing them together. This results in a single scalar value that represents the magnitude of the projection of one vector onto the other.