1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the sequence converges

1. Sep 21, 2015 #1
    Hello Physics Forums community! I've been struggling for a while with this one emoticon-0121-angry.gif ; so basically a sequence a_n is given to us such that the sequence b_n defined by b_n = pa_n + qa_(n+1) is convergent where abs(p)<q. I need to prove a_n is convergent also. Any hint would be of so much help, thank you.

(I've tried proving it is Cauchy but no insight ever comes, just messing with inequalities. I haven't fully understood the role played by abs(p)<q)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can start by trying to think what could go wrong if ##|p|<q## isn't true. Suppose ##a_n=(-1)^n## and ##p=1## and ##q=1##.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3
    I'm well aware of the counter examples when the inequality doesn't hold. I just can't find a way to prove the theorem; and to do this I need to fully understand the importance of the inequality. I can't see it intuitively

5. Sep 22, 2015 #4
    You can use the definition in terms of epsilon.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted