1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the Sum Rule for Limits

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    Prove the Sum Rule for Limits

$$\lim_{x\to a} [f(x) + g(x)] = \lim_{x \to a} f(x) + \lim_{x \to a} g(x) = L + M$$

Proof

Assume the following:
    $$\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = L, \space\lim_{x \to a} g(x) = M$$
    Then, by definition
    ##\forall \epsilon_1 > 0, \exists \delta_1 > 0## such that ##0<|x-a|<\delta_1 \implies |f(x)-L|<\epsilon_1##
    and
    ##\forall \epsilon_2 >0, \exists \delta_2 > 0## such that ##0<|x-a|<\delta_2 \implies |g(x)-M|<\epsilon_2##

Choose ##\delta = \min(\delta_1, \delta_2)##.

Then ##0<|x-a|<\delta \implies |f(x)-L|<\epsilon_1## and ##|g(x)-M|<\epsilon_2##.

Notice ##|[f(x) + g(x)] - [L+M]| = |[f(x)-L] + [g(x)-M]| \leq |f(x)-L| + |g(x)-M|## by the triangle inequality. Then ##|[f(x) + g(x)] - [L+M]| \leq |f(x)-L| + |g(x)-M| < \epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2 = \epsilon##.

Then ##|[f(x) + g(x)] - [L+M]| < \epsilon##. Therefore we conclude

$$\lim_{x\to a} [f(x) + g(x)] = \lim_{x \to a} f(x) + \lim_{x \to a} g(x) = L + M$$

I was comparing my proof (the one above) to the proof offered on page 93 of James Stewart's Calculus (6e) and noticed that instead of ##\epsilon_1## and ##\epsilon_2## he uses ##\frac{\epsilon}{2}## for each of these so that their sum is ##\epsilon##.

Is there anything incorrect with my method? I figure that my approach with two different possible values of ##\epsilon_i## for each of the limits is just a more generalized way of saying the same thing - but the other proofs I've looked at online all use ##\frac{\epsilon}{2}## - is there any reason for this?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you had started with a statement of what you want to prove, you would have written:

To prove: Given ##\epsilon > 0##, show there is ##\delta > 0## such that if ##0<|x-a|< \delta## then ##|(f(x)+g(x)) - (L+M)| < \epsilon##. And that is why you would pick the intermediate values in your argument so it all comes out less than ##\epsilon## at the end.

Your proof should start with "Suppose ##\epsilon > 0##" Then give your argument.

4. Jul 23, 2014 #3
    Oh, I see so it would be something like this:

Proof
    Let ##\epsilon>0## be given. We must find ##\delta > 0## such that ##0<|x-a|<\delta \implies |f(x)+g(x) -(L+M)|<\epsilon##. By applying the triangle inequality we can write ##|f(x)+g(x) - (L+M)| \leq |f(x)-L| + |g(x)-M|##.

I will pause the proof here momentarily. The proofs I have seen have continued by letting each of these terms be less than ##\frac{\epsilon}{2}## - my question is whether or not I could let one of them be less than ##\frac{\epsilon}{3}## and the other be less than ##\frac{2\epsilon}{3}## - the sum of these terms is still ##\epsilon## so this should still be valid correct? I will attempt to complete the proof using these values.

Getting back to the main body of the proof:

Let ##|f(x) - L|<\frac{\epsilon}{3}## and ##|g(x)-M|<\frac{2\epsilon}{3}##. Since ##\epsilon>0## it follows that both ##\frac{\epsilon}{3}>0## and ##\frac{2\epsilon}{3}>0##. Since both the limit of ##f(x)## and ##g(x)## exist as ##x## approaches ##a## there exist ##\delta_1## and ##\delta_2## satisfying the following conditions:

$$0<|x-a|<\delta_1 \implies |f(x)-L|<\frac{\epsilon}{3}$$
    $$0<|x-a|<\delta_2 \implies |g(x)-M|<\frac{2\epsilon}{3}$$

Choose ##\delta=\min(\delta_1, \delta_2)##. If ##0<|x-a|<\delta## then ##0<|x-a|<\delta_1## and ##0<|x-a|<\delta_2## so ##|f(x)-L|<\frac{\epsilon}{3}## and ##|g(x)-M|<\frac{2\epsilon}{3}##.

Then ##|f(x)+g(x) - (L+M)| \leq |f(x)-L| + |g(x)-M| < \frac{\epsilon}{3} + \frac{2\epsilon}{3} = \epsilon##.

This completes the proof.

What was bothering me was that every proof I saw relied upon splitting the two terms equally into ##\frac{\epsilon}{2}## when I figured that it should be possible to split ##\epsilon## into two uneven terms.

Does the above constitute a valid proof?

5. Jul 24, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. It doesn't matter how you break it up as long as the total parts add to less than ##\epsilon##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted