Prove there exists no combination of speed and angles

In summary, two projectiles are launched with different speeds and angles from the same point. The question is whether there exists a combination of speeds and angles that would allow both projectiles to land at the same point simultaneously. The attempted solution involves setting a constant range and determining the time taken for each projectile to reach that point. However, further discussion reveals that considering the horizontal and vertical components of velocity is essential, and a proof by contradiction is suggested as the proper approach to solve the problem.
negation said:
Let's try it again:

x1(t) = x2(t)

Given an arbitrary time, T, the displacement for x1 can be determined.
And in equating Vx1.T = vx2.t, the unknown vx2 can be determined.
No!

Why did you substitute t with T for x1 but not for x2? It's the same time for both.

Physics news on Phys.org
D H said:
No!

Why did you substitute t with T for x1 but not for x2? It's the same time for both.

With all the smoke screen, it can be hard to cut through to the solution. But I think I'm seeing the general solution.

The objective is to prove vx1 = vx2

x1(t) = x2(t)

We ascribe an arbitrary time value projectile 1.
This can be expressed as: vx1(T)

In this same arbitrary time, T, projectile 2 has a displacement of vx2(T)

so, vx1(T) = vx2(T)

In order to determine vx2,
[vx1(T)]/ (T)

Therefore,

vx1 = vx2

negation said:
With all the smoke screen, it can be hard to cut through to the solution. But I think I'm seeing the general solution.

The objective is to prove vx1 = vx2

x1(t) = x2(t)

We ascribe an arbitrary time value projectile 1.
This can be expressed as: vx1(T)

In this same arbitrary time, T, projectile 2 has a displacement of vx2(T)

so, vx1(T) = vx2(T)

In order to determine vx2,
[vx1(T)]/ (T)

Therefore,

vx1 = vx2

That's better. More algebra, less 'logic'. Just one detail, it's worth noting that argument only works if T is not zero. The projectiles actually are in the same place at the same time at t=0. Now what about y?

Dick said:
That's better. More algebra, less 'logic'. Just one detail, it's worth noting that argument only works if T is not zero. The projectiles actually are in the same place at the same time at t=0. Now what about y?

My general solution is to find the time projectile 1 and 2 is in flight:

y1(t) = y2(t)
y1(T) = y2(T)
vyi1 - 0.5gt^2 = vyi2 - 0.5gt^2

T(vyi1) - 0.5gt^2) = T(vyi2)

If Vyi1 - 0.5gt = vyi2 - 0.5gt

[itex]\ni[/itex]

T1 = 0 V 2vyi1/g

T2 = 0 V 2vyi2/g

negation said:
My general solution is to find the time projectile 1 and 2 is in flight:

y1(t) = y2(t)
y1(T) = y2(T)
vyi1 - 0.5gt^2 = vyi2 - 0.5gt^2

T(vyi1) - 0.5gt^2) = T(vyi2)

If Vyi1 - 0.5gt = vyi2 - 0.5gt

[itex]\ni[/itex]

T1 = 0 V 2vyi1/g

T2 = 0 V 2vyi2/g

That's pretty unclear and you've got some dubious algebra there, like T(vyi1) - 0.5gt^2) = T(vyi2). Can you try that again? There's only one T here. And the T=0 solution you don't really care much about. You already know the projectiles start in the same place at the same time.

Dick said:
That's pretty unclear and you've got some dubious algebra there, like T(vyi1) - 0.5gt^2) = T(vyi2). Can you try that again? There's only one T here. And the T=0 solution you don't really care much about. You already know the projectiles start in the same place at the same time.

It was by carelessness that I had the 't' in place of 'T'.

y1(t) = y2(t)
y1(T) = y2(T)
vyi1 - 0.5gT^2 = vyi2 - 0.5gT^2

T(vyi1 - 0.5gT) = T(vyi2 - 0.5gT)

If Vyi1 - 0.5gT = vyi2 - 0.5gT

[itex]\ni[/itex]

T1 = 0 V 2vyi1/g

T2 = 0 V 2vyi2/g

In both projectile we shall ignore solution where t = 0.

negation said:
Why are you missing the obvious so often? I'm going to break the rules of this site: Simply add 0.5gT to both sides of that expression and be done with it.

That you regularly miss the obvious, and that you call our supposed lack of help a "smoke screen" indicates to me that you are lacking some basic problem solving skills. You need some one-on-one, realtime help to help you learn those basic skills. If your school has a tutoring center you should go take advantage of it.

negation said:
It was by carelessness that I had the 't' in place of 'T'.

y1(t) = y2(t)
y1(T) = y2(T)
vyi1 - 0.5gT^2 = vyi2 - 0.5gT^2

T(vyi1 - 0.5gT) = T(vyi2 - 0.5gT)

[itex]\ni[/itex]

T1 = 0 V 2vyi1/g

T2 = 0 V 2vyi2/g

In both projectile we shall ignore solution where t = 0.

You still have a ##T_1## and a ##T_2##. Who cares about them, whatever they are. What you are trying to do is establish a relation between ##v_{y1}## and ##v_{y2}##.

D H said:
Why are you missing the obvious so often? I'm going to break the rules of this site: Simply add 0.5gT to both sides of that expression and be done with it.

That you regularly miss the obvious, and that you call our supposed lack of help a "smoke screen" indicates to me that you are lacking some basic problem solving skills. You need some one-on-one, realtime help to help you learn those basic skills. If your school has a tutoring center you should go take advantage of it.

It's not the lack of problem solving skills.
Working on limited material and self- studying before the semester reopens implies a steep learning curve. And at times where my interpretation of the concept and mathematical reasoning is faulty, I do require time to deconstruct those faulty reasoning and replace then with the valid ones.
It's the holidays now by the way.

negation said:
It's not the lack of problem solving skills.
Working on limited material and self- studying before the semester reopens implies a steep learning curve. And at times where my interpretation of the concept and mathematical reasoning is faulty, I do require time to deconstruct those faulty reasoning and replace then with the valid ones.
It's the holidays now by the way.

That's all fine, good luck on the self-study. You did really well in post 37 with the x-component. You set an "objective to prove vx1 = vx2" and did it. Your objective dealing with the y-component is to show vy1 = vy2. But you never quite got there. Once you have shown vx1 = vx2 and vy1 = vy2, you might want to step back use your mathematical reasoning to say what that says about the original question, which was actually asking about speeds and angles.

Dick said:
That's all fine, good luck on the self-study. You did really well in post 37 with the x-component. You set an "objective to prove vx1 = vx2" and did it. Your objective dealing with the y-component is to show vy1 = vy2. But you never quite got there. Once you have shown vx1 = vx2 and vy1 = vy2, you might want to step back use your mathematical reasoning to say what that says about the original question, which was actually asking about speeds and angles.

x1(t) = x1(0) + vi1cosΘ
x1(T1) = vi1cosΘ.T1
x2(t) = x2(0) + vi2cosΘ
x2(T2) = vi2cosΘ.T2
x1(T1) = x2(T2)

∴ vi1cosΘ.T1 = vi2cosΘ.T2

p1: If T1 = T2 [itex] \ni [/itex] vi1cosΘ = vi2cosΘ

y1(t) = y1(0) + vi1sinΘ.t - 0.5gt2
y1(T1) = vi1sinΘ.T - 0.5gT2
y2(t) = y2(0) + vi2sinΘ.t - 0.5gt2
y2(T2) = vi2sinΘ.T - 0.5gT2

∴ vi1sinΘ - 0.5gT1 = vi2sinΘ - 0.5gT2

p2: T1 = T2 [itex] \ni [/itex] vi1sinΘ = vi2sinΘ

p3: [itex]\forall[/itex] T1 = T2
[itex] \ni [/itex]
[vi1cosΘ = vi2cosΘ] [itex]\wedge[/itex] [vi1sinΘ = vi2sinΘ]

but if vi1 = (vi1+[itex]\alpha[/itex]) and Θ = (Θ + [itex]\gamma[/itex])
[itex]\ni[/itex]
x1(T1) = (vi1+ [itex]\alpha[/itex]) cos (Θ +[itex]\gamma[/itex]).T1

and if vi2 = (vi2 - [itex]\alpha[/itex]) and Θ = (Θ - [itex]\gamma[/itex])
[itex]\ni[/itex]
x2(T2) = (vi2-[itex]\alpha[/itex]) cos (Θ - [itex]\gamma[/itex])
while holding the horizontal displacement, vicosΘ.T, true.
then
T1 = [vicosΘ.T]/ (vi1+ [itex]\alpha[/itex]) cos (Θ +[itex]\gamma[/itex])
[itex]\neq[/itex]
T2 = [vicosΘ.T]/ (vi2-[itex]\alpha[/itex]) cos (Θ - [itex]\gamma[/itex])

∴ T1 [itex]\neq[/itex] T2 if there exists a combination of angles and initial velocity.

Hence, no combination of angles and initial velocity exists to enable a projectile to simultaneously land at the same point and in time.

Last edited: