1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove there's no differentiable f such that f(f(x)) = g(x) with g'(x) < 0 for every x

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1
    Suppose the real valued [tex]g[/tex] is defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]g'(x) < 0[/tex] for every real [tex]x[/tex]. Prove there's no differentiable [tex]f: R \rightarrow R[/tex] such that [tex]f \circ f = g[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Prove there's no differentiable f such that f(f(x)) = g(x) with g'(x) < 0 for eve

My suggestion would be to look at (f o f)' (using the chain rule) and try to find some x for which this is necessarily > 0.

By the way, double posting here was unnecessary and is generally not appreciated here.

4. Jun 28, 2008 #3
    Re: Prove there's no differentiable f such that f(f(x)) = g(x) with g'(x) < 0 for eve

You want to prove that f is monotone. Then, you want to prove that f isn't monotone.

5. Jun 28, 2008 #4
  6. Jun 28, 2008 #5

I don't see it. How do you show that f is bounded?

7. Jun 28, 2008 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't matter whether f is bounded or not. It is clear that f'(x) and f'(f(x)) have opposite signs for all x. Pick any x. If f(x)=x, then this is a contradiction. If not, then by the intermediate value theorem, f' is zero at some point between x and f(x). That is essentially what the fixed point theorem says.

8. Jun 28, 2008 #7

How do you know that f' is continuous?

9. Jun 28, 2008 #8

whe only need to know that f is continuous to get f(x) = x, and by assuming that f is differential it is.

10. Jun 28, 2008 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, let's assume that the function is once continuously differentiable if that makes you feel better. Off the top of my head I can't think of a function that is differentiable, but where the derivative is discontinuous....

11. Jun 28, 2008 #10

The fixed point theorem requires f to be bounded. Otherwise, take f(x) = x + 1

See wikipidia for a differentiable but not C^1 function.

12. Jun 28, 2008 #11

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you note, I didn't use the fixed point theorem, just the intermediate value theorem (I've no idea why anyone would invoke the f.p.t. - at best its proof is enlightening for this question). And I suspect that original poster's question was phrased in terms of smooth functions making the exceptional case of a differentiable but not C^1 function important as an aside.

13. Jun 28, 2008 #12

my bad didn't see that the fix point theorem needed bounded. matt_grimes proof works, if you assume that f' is continuous.

14. Jun 28, 2008 #13
    [tex]
    A = \{x\in\mathbb{R}\;|\; f'(x)>0\}
    [/tex]

[tex]
    B = \{x\in\mathbb{R}\;|\; f'(x)<0\}
    [/tex]

Using continuity of [tex]f[/tex] and checking some preimages, don't you get a contradiction with the fact that the real line is connected?

edit: Ouch. I wasn't thinking this all the way to the end. Never mind if this is not working.

15. Jun 28, 2008 #14

Anyway, my approach was to apply the mean value theorem to show that f is injective. This implies something contradictory about f'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?