Prove there's no differentiable f such that f(f(x)) = g(x) with g'(x) < 0 for every x

Suppose the real valued [tex]g[/tex] is defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]g'(x) < 0[/tex] for every real [tex]x[/tex]. Prove there's no differentiable [tex]f: R \rightarrow R[/tex] such that [tex]f \circ f = g[/tex].

Answers and Replies

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

My suggestion would be to look at (f o f)' (using the chain rule) and try to find some x for which this is necessarily > 0.

By the way, double posting here was unnecessary and is generally not appreciated here.

You want to prove that f is monotone. Then, you want to prove that f isn't monotone.

I don't see it. How do you show that f is bounded?

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

It doesn't matter whether f is bounded or not. It is clear that f'(x) and f'(f(x)) have opposite signs for all x. Pick any x. If f(x)=x, then this is a contradiction. If not, then by the intermediate value theorem, f' is zero at some point between x and f(x). That is essentially what the fixed point theorem says.

How do you know that f' is continuous?

whe only need to know that f is continuous to get f(x) = x, and by assuming that f is differential it is.

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

OK, let's assume that the function is once continuously differentiable if that makes you feel better. Off the top of my head I can't think of a function that is differentiable, but where the derivative is discontinuous....

The fixed point theorem requires f to be bounded. Otherwise, take f(x) = x + 1

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_function" [Broken] for a differentiable but not C^1 function.

Last edited by a moderator:
matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

If you note, I didn't use the fixed point theorem, just the intermediate value theorem (I've no idea why anyone would invoke the f.p.t. - at best its proof is enlightening for this question). And I suspect that original poster's question was phrased in terms of smooth functions making the exceptional case of a differentiable but not C^1 function important as an aside.

my bad didn't see that the fix point theorem needed bounded. matt_grimes proof works, if you assume that f' is continuous.

[tex]
A = \{x\in\mathbb{R}\;|\; f'(x)>0\}
[/tex]

[tex]
B = \{x\in\mathbb{R}\;|\; f'(x)<0\}
[/tex]

Using continuity of [tex]f[/tex] and checking some preimages, don't you get a contradiction with the fact that the real line is connected?

edit: Ouch. I wasn't thinking this all the way to the end. Never mind if this is not working.

Anyway, my approach was to apply the mean value theorem to show that f is injective. This implies something contradictory about f'.