Proving No Differentiable f Such That f Circ f = g

In summary, the conversation discusses the impossibility of finding a differentiable function f: R->R such that f o f = g, where g is a real-valued function defined on the real numbers and g'(x) < 0 for all x. The suggestion is to use the chain rule and the intermediate value theorem to prove that f is monotone, but a contradiction arises. The fixed point theorem is mentioned, but it is not necessary to use it. The function f does not need to be bounded, but f' needs to be continuous. A counterexample of a differentiable but not C^1 function is given. It is suggested to use the connectedness of the real line to reach a contradiction, but this approach
mathwizarddud
Suppose the real valued [tex]g[/tex] is defined on [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] and [tex]g'(x) < 0[/tex] for every real [tex]x[/tex]. Prove there's no differentiable [tex]f: R \rightarrow R[/tex] such that [tex]f \circ f = g[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org

My suggestion would be to look at (f o f)' (using the chain rule) and try to find some x for which this is necessarily > 0.

By the way, double posting here was unnecessary and is generally not appreciated here.

You want to prove that f is monotone. Then, you want to prove that f isn't monotone.

I don't see it. How do you show that f is bounded?

It doesn't matter whether f is bounded or not. It is clear that f'(x) and f'(f(x)) have opposite signs for all x. Pick any x. If f(x)=x, then this is a contradiction. If not, then by the intermediate value theorem, f' is zero at some point between x and f(x). That is essentially what the fixed point theorem says.

How do you know that f' is continuous?

whe only need to know that f is continuous to get f(x) = x, and by assuming that f is differential it is.

OK, let's assume that the function is once continuously differentiable if that makes you feel better. Off the top of my head I can't think of a function that is differentiable, but where the derivative is discontinuous...

The fixed point theorem requires f to be bounded. Otherwise, take f(x) = x + 1

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_function" for a differentiable but not C^1 function.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you note, I didn't use the fixed point theorem, just the intermediate value theorem (I've no idea why anyone would invoke the f.p.t. - at best its proof is enlightening for this question). And I suspect that original poster's question was phrased in terms of smooth functions making the exceptional case of a differentiable but not C^1 function important as an aside.

my bad didn't see that the fix point theorem needed bounded. matt_grimes proof works, if you assume that f' is continuous.

[tex]
A = \{x\in\mathbb{R}\;|\; f'(x)>0\}
[/tex]

[tex]
B = \{x\in\mathbb{R}\;|\; f'(x)<0\}
[/tex]

Using continuity of [tex]f[/tex] and checking some preimages, don't you get a contradiction with the fact that the real line is connected?

edit: Ouch. I wasn't thinking this all the way to the end. Never mind if this is not working.

Anyway, my approach was to apply the mean value theorem to show that f is injective. This implies something contradictory about f'.

1. What does it mean to prove no differentiable function f such that f ∘ f = g?

Proving no differentiable function f such that f ∘ f = g means showing that there is no function f that exists where the composition of f with itself (f ∘ f) is equal to another given function g. This essentially means that there is no solution for the equation f(x) = g(f(x)).

2. Why is it important to prove that no differentiable function f satisfies f ∘ f = g?

Proving that no differentiable function f satisfies f ∘ f = g can provide valuable information about the properties and limitations of certain mathematical structures. It can also help to narrow down the search for solutions to equations and provide a more complete understanding of the problem at hand.

3. What are the main techniques used to prove that no differentiable function f satisfies f ∘ f = g?

The main techniques used to prove that no differentiable function f satisfies f ∘ f = g include proof by contradiction, counterexamples, and mathematical induction. These techniques involve carefully examining the given equation and using logical reasoning to show that no possible solution exists.

4. Can there be multiple solutions for the equation f ∘ f = g?

No, if a solution exists for the equation f ∘ f = g, it must be unique. This is because the composition of two functions must always result in a unique output for each input, so there cannot be two different functions f that satisfy the equation.

5. Is it possible to prove that no differentiable function f satisfies f ∘ f = g for all possible functions g?

No, it is not possible to prove this for all possible functions g. This is because there are an infinite number of possible functions, so it would be impossible to examine every single one and prove that no differentiable function f satisfies f ∘ f = g for each of them. However, it is possible to prove this for specific functions g, which can still provide valuable insights and understanding.