Proving Inequality for Linear Functions: |h(h(x))+h(h(1/x))|>2

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the homework statement attempted to solve for h(1/x) using two distinct linear functions, f and g, that map [-1,1] onto [0,2]. However, there was no clear method to find h(1/x) and so the result was that x+1/x-1 was reduced to -f(x)/g(x).
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

If f and g are two distinct linear functions defined on R such that they map[-1,1] onto [0,2] and h:R-{-1,0,1}→R defined by h(x)=f(x)/g(x) then show that |h(h(x))+h(h(1/x))|>2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume f(x) to be ax+b and g(x) to be lx+m so that h(x) is (ax+b)/(lx+m). From here I can write h(h(x)) and h(h(1/x)) but there is nothing I can see that will help me to prove this inequality. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

If f and g are two distinct linear functions defined on R such that they map[-1,1] onto [0,2] and h:R-{-1,0,1}→R defined by h(x)=f(x)/g(x) then show that |h(h(x))+h(h(1/x))|>2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume f(x) to be ax+b and g(x) to be lx+m so that h(x) is (ax+b)/(lx+m). From here I can write h(h(x)) and h(h(1/x)) but there is nothing I can see that will help me to prove this inequality. Any ideas?
You can be more specific regarding the functions, f & g .

There are only two distinct linear functions which map [-1,1] onto [0,2] .

What are they?

SammyS said:
You can be more specific regarding the functions, f & g .

There are only two distinct linear functions which map [-1,1] onto [0,2] .

What are they?

y=x+1 and y=-x+1. Are these correct?

utkarshakash said:
y=x+1 and y=-x+1. Are these correct?
Yes. Equivalently, y=1+x and y=1-x .

So, there are only two cases to consider.

Choosing f(x) = 1+x and g(x) = 1-x, for now, what is h(1/x) ?

SammyS said:
Yes. Equivalently, y=1+x and y=1-x .

So, there are only two cases to consider.

Choosing f(x) = 1+x and g(x) = 1-x, for now, what is h(1/x) ?

x+1/x-1 which can be reduced to -f(x)/g(x)

And after simplifying further I am left with proving this inequality

|x-(1/x)|>2

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:
x+1/x-1 which can be reduced to -f(x)/g(x)
It looks like you get h(1/x) = -f(x)/g(x), for either way of assigning 1-x and 1+x to f(x) and g(x).
And after simplifying further I am left with proving this inequality

|x-(1/x)|>2

I got something similar to x-(1/x), but it is different.

Check your algebra.

It seems to me that one could do this more abstractly using some calculus, etc. (Maybe the Calculus part comes in the next step)

What does it mean to "prove" an inequality?

Proving an inequality means to show that it is true for all possible values of the variables involved. This can be done through logical reasoning, mathematical manipulations, or by providing counterexamples.

How do I know if an inequality is true or false?

You can test the truth of an inequality by substituting different values for the variables and checking if the resulting statement is true or false. You can also use algebraic techniques to manipulate the inequality and see if it leads to a true statement.

What is the difference between proving an inequality and solving an equation?

Proving an inequality involves showing that it is true for all possible values, while solving an equation involves finding specific values of the variables that make the equation true. Inequalities are typically more complex and can have infinitely many solutions.

What strategies can I use to prove an inequality?

There are several strategies that can be used to prove an inequality, such as using algebraic manipulations, mathematical induction, or using known properties of inequalities. It is important to carefully consider the given inequality and choose the most appropriate strategy.

Can an inequality be proven using only numerical examples?

No, proving an inequality requires logical reasoning and mathematical techniques, not just numerical examples. While examples can provide evidence for the truth of an inequality, they cannot be used as a proof.