Prove Result: Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem | 65 Characters

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary: It simply says "for some x1 and x2". This leads me to conclude that they must be different. What's your opinion on this?Be careful, sometimes the wording of easy problems is designed to make it seem more complicated than it is. The case of x1 = x2 is an example of the theorem, as written. If this is for class, you should ask the grader for clarification, not the forum.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let f be continuous in [a,b] and differentiable in (a,b). If f(a)=a and f(b)=b, then prove that f'(x1)+f'(x2)=2 for some x1,x2 ε (a,b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem
f'(x)=1 for some x in (a,b). But the question asks the sum of derivatives at 2 points. How do I figure it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do x1 and x2 have to be different? Because otherwise it seems pretty trivial...

DimReg said:
Do x1 and x2 have to be different? Because otherwise it seems pretty trivial...

Yes of course.

utkarshakash said:
Yes of course.
Not sure why you say "of course". That condition is not in the OP. Have you quoted the problem exactly? If not, I wonder whether it is actually asking for a much stronger result: given x1 ε (a,b) show there exists x2 ε (a,b) (not necessarily different from x1) such that f'(x1)+f'(x2) = 2.
If it really is as you say, consider splitting the interval in half.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
given x1 ε (a,b) show there exists x2 ε (a,b) (not necessarily different from x1) such that f'(x1)+f'(x2) = 2.

This is what I mean to say.

But if I split the interval in half how will I be able to apply LMVT separately to those two intervals?

Last edited:
utkarshakash said:
But if I split the interval in half how will I be able to apply LMVT separately to those two intervals?

You get two intervals, (a,(a+b)/2) and ((a+b)/2,b). Simply apply LMVT for both of them.

utkarshakash said:
haruspex said:
given x1 ε (a,b) show there exists x2 ε (a,b) (not necessarily different from x1) such that f'(x1)+f'(x2) = 2.
Are you sure? Having thought about it some more, I don't think my suggested version is true. Please post the problem word for word.

haruspex said:
... I don't think my suggested version is true. Please post the problem word for word.

Why isn't that true? Your suggestion gives the right answer. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Why isn't that true? Your suggestion gives the right answer. :confused:
You're confusing two things. Let me recap:
The question as posed is trivial since it allows x1=x2, so all you need is to use LMVT in the usual way.
DimReg asked whether x1 and x2 had to be different, and utkarshakash said yes.
If that is the correct version of the question, then my range halving idea works, but I'm suspicious that we still don't have the right question. I thought perhaps that instead of finding an x1 and an x2, the task was to find an x2 for some arbitrary given x1. That would be much more interesting. Indeed utkarshakash replied that I was right about that, but then I realized that what I'd suggested as the question is probably not even true. It still may be that the correct version of the question is something like that - we need to wait and see what utkarshakash says.

utkarshakash said:

So when DimReg asked "Do x1 and x2 have to be different? Because otherwise it seems pretty trivial... " and you answered "Yes, of course", you were wrong?

haruspex said:
You're confusing two things. Let me recap:
The question as posed is trivial since it allows x1=x2, so all you need is to use LMVT in the usual way.
DimReg asked whether x1 and x2 had to be different, and utkarshakash said yes.
If that is the correct version of the question, then my range halving idea works, but I'm suspicious that we still don't have the right question. I thought perhaps that instead of finding an x1 and an x2, the task was to find an x2 for some arbitrary given x1. That would be much more interesting. Indeed utkarshakash replied that I was right about that, but then I realized that what I'd suggested as the question is probably not even true. It still may be that the correct version of the question is something like that - we need to wait and see what utkarshakash says.
if x1 and x2 were same then it would not have been a problem to prove the result. but the question does not mention anywhere that they are same. It simply says "for some x1 and x2". This leads me to conclude that they must be different. What's your opinion on this?

Be careful, sometimes the wording of easy problems is designed to make it seem more complicated than it is. The case of x1 = x2 is an example of the theorem, as written. If this is for class, you should ask the grader for clarification, not the internet.

DimReg said:
Be careful, sometimes the wording of easy problems is designed to make it seem more complicated than it is. The case of x1 = x2 is an example of the theorem, as written. If this is for class, you should ask the grader for clarification, not the internet.

OK I will let you know what my teacher says tomorrow.

utkarshakash said:
if x1 and x2 were same then it would not have been a problem to prove the result. but the question does not mention anywhere that they are same.
I think you mean, it doesn't mention that they could be the same. But if it does not clearly indicate that you must not choose them so then you are within your rights to assume that you can.

haruspex said:
I think you mean, it doesn't mention that they could be the same. But if it does not clearly indicate that you must not choose them so then you are within your rights to assume that you can.

But assuming x1 and x2 to be different is not a problem either. Your method gives the right answer very easily. I only mean that they are not same because then the problem would have been too easy to solve and I don't expect my teacher to give such easy question. But anyways, I'll discuss this with my teacher.

haruspex said:
I thought perhaps that instead of finding an x1 and an x2, the task was to find an x2 for some arbitrary given x1. That would be much more interesting. Indeed utkarshakash replied that I was right about that, but then I realized that what I'd suggested as the question is probably not even true.

It's definitely not true. Let f(x) = xn on the interval [0,1], for a really big choice of n, and let x1 be a number really close to 1. Then f'(x1) > 2 and there are no negative derivatives to use

1. What is Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem?

Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states for a continuous function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the secant line connecting the endpoints.

2. How is Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem used?

Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem is used to prove the existence of a particular value in the interval that satisfies a given condition. It is also used to prove other important theorems in calculus such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. What is the significance of the character limit in the title?

The character limit in the title is used to ensure that the statement of the theorem is concise and clear. It forces the writer to focus on the essential elements of the theorem and avoid unnecessary details.

4. Can Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous functions on a closed interval. If a function is not continuous or the interval is not closed, the theorem cannot be applied.

5. How does Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem relate to the concept of derivatives?

Lagrange's Mean Value Theorem is closely related to the concept of derivatives as it provides a way to prove the existence of a derivative for a function on a given interval. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function at a specific point.