1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove this vector identity

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that:
    [itex]curl(r \times curlF)+(r.\nabla)curlF+2curlF=0[/itex], where r is a vector and F is a vector field.

(Or letting [itex]G=curlF=\nabla \times F[/itex]
    i.e. [itex]\nabla \times (r \times G) + (r.\nabla)G+2G=0[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used an identity to change it to reduce (?) it to
    [itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G-(r.\nabla)G+(r.\nabla)G+2G[/itex]
    [itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here to show that it's equal to zero. At the moment the only approach I know of is to compute all the components an hope they sum up to zero but surely there's another identity that can simplify this a bit further.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sub back G=curl.F

div.curl.F=?

4. May 14, 2014 #3
    0!
    Which gives
    [itex]((\nabla \times F).\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)(\nabla \times F)+2\nabla \times F[/itex]
    or
    [itex](G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

One term less = a bunch of less components to deal with - I'll try expanding it out now and see where I get.

5. May 15, 2014 #4
    Now I've got:

[itex](G_1\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+G_2\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}+G_3\frac{\partial r}{\partial z})-(G\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}+G\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y}+G\frac{\partial r_3}{\partial z})+2G_1+2G_2+2G_3[/itex].

When I expand out the vectors([itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}[/itex] into [itex]\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}[/itex], etc. and [itex]G[/itex] into [itex]G_1, G_2, G_3[/itex]), the diagonal terms cancel, i.e. [itex]G_1\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}i, G_2\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y}j, G_3\frac{\partial r_3}{\partial z}k[/itex] . What I'm left with doesn't look like it sums to zero, however.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. May 15, 2014 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Why did you change ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{F}## into ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{G}##?

7. May 15, 2014 #6
    Sorry, my mistake. IT should be ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\nabla \times \vec{F}##

8. May 16, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you're supposed to use the fact that ##\vec{r}## is not just any vector but that it's equal to ##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted