1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove this Vector Operation

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if vectors [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{b}[/tex] have opposite directions, how to show that |[tex]\vec{a}[/tex]| + |[tex]\vec{b}[/tex]| = |[tex]\vec{a}[/tex] - [tex]\vec{b}[/tex]|?

2. Relevant equations
    quadratic equation, definition of absolute value

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]|\vec{a}-\vec{b}| = \sqrt{\vec{a}^{2}-2\vec{a}\bullet\vec{b}+\vec{b}^{2}}[/tex]
    and then I got
    [tex]|\vec{a}-\vec{b}| = \sqrt{\vec{a}^{2}-2|\vec{a}||\vec{b}|cos\Phi+\vec{b}^{2}}[/tex]
    So then cosine of the angle is equal to -1, and I don't know how to go from there.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2
    Looks like a notation issue.

[tex]
    \begin{align}
    \vec{a}^2 &= a^2\notag\\

|\vec{a}|&=a\notag
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

Everything under the radical is a scalar.

4. Apr 29, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This makes no sense. In the first equation you have the square of a vector, which implies multiplication of some kind. The only kinds of multiplication that are available are 1) multiplication by a scalar, 2) the dot product, and 3) (for vectors in R^3) the cross product.

In the second equation, you claim that the magnitude of a vector is equal to the vector itself.

5. Apr 29, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're given that the vectors have the opposite directions, which means that a = -kb for some positive scalar k. Also, since a.b = |a||b|cos(theta), and theta = pi, you have a.b = -|a||b|.

Put both of these ideas together, and the result you want should fall out pretty readily.

6. Apr 29, 2009 #5
    Again, I think it's a notation issue. You'll often see shorthands like this in the literature. Since you're using boldface:
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    \mathbf{a}^2 &= \mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{a} = a^2 = |\mathbf{a}|^2
    \intertext{and}
    |\mathbf{a}| &= a.
    \end{align}
    [/tex]

I can see where there might be problems, if instead we did something like
    [tex]
    \mathbf{a}^2 = \mathbf{aa} = \mathbf{a} \otimes \mathbf{a}
    [/tex]
    and instead ended up with a dyadic (an outer product).

Notice that the arrows are missing on the RHS of each equation in my previous post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook