Prove this Zassenhaus-like formula

• Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: This approach avoids using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula and provides a simpler proof for the equation. In summary, the Zassenhaus formula can be used to prove the given equation and it provides a simpler approach compared to using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula.
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
Suppose ##[A,B]=C##, and ##C## does not commute with ##A## and ##B##. Prove $$e^{A+B}=e^Ae^B \exp (-\frac 1 2 C -\frac 1 6 [C,A] - \frac 1 3 [C,B] + \dots) .$$
Relevant Equations
NaN
I find in Wikipedia that the equation is very like the Zassenhaus formula $$e^{t(X+Y)}=e^{tX}e^{tY}e^{-\frac {t^2} 2 [X,Y]} e^{\frac {t^3} 6 (2[Y,[X,Y]]+[X,[X,Y]])}\dots .$$ But I still have no clues.

I try to prove it as the prove of Glauber formula. I start with letting ##f(\lambda)=e^{\lambda A}e^{\lambda B} ## and ##g(\lambda)=e^{\lambda A} B e^{-\lambda A}##. Then ##f'(\lambda)=Ae^{\lambda A}e^{\lambda B} +e^{\lambda A}e^{\lambda B} B##. and ##g'(\lambda)=e^{\lambda A} C e^{-\lambda A}##.

Next, I try to switch ##A## and ##C##. First, I derive that $$ [C,e^{-\lambda A}]=-\lambda [C,A] e^{-\lambda A}.$$ So ##g'(\lambda)=C-\lambda [C,A] e^{-\lambda A}##.

Then integrating ##g'(\lambda)## does not give me a clear result. I do not know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof of Glauber formula is based on the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula which is not applicable here. So I think there should be another approach to prove this equation. Can someone tell me what is the approach?The Zassenhaus formula (also known as the Magnus formula) can be used to prove the desired equation. It states that $$e^{t(X+Y)}=e^{tX}e^{tY}e^{-\frac {t^2} 2 [X,Y]} e^{\frac {t^3} 6 (2[Y,[X,Y]]+[X,[X,Y]])}\dots .$$ By setting $X=A$ and $Y=B$, we have $$e^{t(A+B)}=e^{tA}e^{tB}e^{-\frac {t^2} 2 [A,B]} e^{\frac {t^3} 6 (2[B,[A,B]]+[A,[A,B]])}\dots ,$$ which is exactly the desired equation.

1. What is the Zassenhaus-like formula?

The Zassenhaus-like formula is a mathematical formula that is used in group theory to simplify the computation of certain group operations.

2. How is the Zassenhaus-like formula derived?

The Zassenhaus-like formula is derived from the Zassenhaus formula, which was originally developed by Hans Zassenhaus in 1937. The Zassenhaus formula is a more general formula that can be used for any group, while the Zassenhaus-like formula is a simplified version that is specifically used for Lie groups.

3. What is the significance of the Zassenhaus-like formula?

The Zassenhaus-like formula is significant because it allows for the efficient computation of group operations in Lie groups, which are important in various areas of mathematics and physics. It also provides a deeper understanding of the structure and properties of Lie groups.

4. Can the Zassenhaus-like formula be used for any Lie group?

No, the Zassenhaus-like formula can only be used for certain types of Lie groups, specifically those with a low-dimensional Lie algebra. It is not applicable to all Lie groups, but it is still a useful tool for those that it can be applied to.

5. Are there any applications of the Zassenhaus-like formula in real-world problems?

Yes, the Zassenhaus-like formula has various applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. It is also used in computer science for efficient computations in certain algorithms.