1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove:β (heat pump) is always less or equal to β(Carnot HP)

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    Hello All!

My professor in thermodynamics showed us the proof of the Carnot theory using integrals and a temp vs. entropy plot for a heat engine cycle. We haven't actually learned about entropy yet, so can someone help me understand how this translates into the coefficient of performance β for a heat pump? We were given the rule that β≤β(Carnot) for heat pumps and refrigerators, but I can't prove this is true on my own. Any explanation is appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Don't you have a textbook?

Basically, you start from the definition of the coefficient of performance and use the 1st law to write it in terms of ##Q_C## and ##Q_H##, the heat coming from the cold reservoir and that going to the hot reservoir, respectively. Then, you use the 2nd law to translate ##Q_C## and ##Q_H## to ##T_C## and ##T_H##. This gives you the highest ##\beta## possible according to the 2nd law. Then you prove that a Carnot cycle working between ##T_C## and ##T_H## has a value of ##\beta## that is the highest possible. Therefore, ##\beta \le \beta(\mathrm{Carnot})##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook