1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove ∠XOM = θ

1. Apr 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data Q7 part a on one of the attached pictures

2. Relevant equations

Trigonometric identities

3. The attempt at a solution
    See attached pages

Please help me I've spent onwards of 4 hours trying to figure this out and I can't get anywhere at all

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2016 #2
    I have doubt about the problem. What is the guarantee that the line segment ZM passes through O the center of the circle. Does it mean that this is also given as input data.

4. Apr 23, 2016 #3
    ∠XOY=2θ(angle at center twice angle at circumference)
    XO=OY=raidius
    ∠XOM=∠YOM(angle at same segment)
    2∠XOM=2θ
    ∠XOM=θ

5. Apr 23, 2016 #4
    All I know is what I was given in the question. But I agree the question is presumptuous; it's assuming h≥r

6. Apr 23, 2016 #5
    How do you know angle XOY is double angle XZY? Is it just a rule that I don't know about?

7. Apr 23, 2016 #6

8. Apr 23, 2016 #7
    Thank you so much that has helped heaps

9. Apr 23, 2016 #8
    The rest of the problem is quite simple. We need to solve the problem as mentioned in the diagram h = ZO +OM = r + rcos θ or
    h/r = cos θ + 1. You can find dh/dθ and put r = 3 and θ = π/6 to complete the answer. The diiagram given in the book is a special case of the inscribed triangle where ZM passes through O.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted