1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proved A x [B x (Cx D) ] = 0

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    Hello I hope you can help me in solving this proof

proved A x [B x (Cx D) ] = 0

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Samia, welcome to PF. Since this is your first post you may not have read the rules, one of which is you must show what you have tried. Nevertheless I will give you a Hint: Try the calculation with 4 different vectors.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

that's just...cruel.

presumably A,B,C and D lie in R3?

if so, A must be a linear combination of B,C, and D.

the cross-product is distributive, is it not?

from here it get easy....because of a certain elementary property of cross-products.

5. Nov 21, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How does it get easy when it is false? And what is cruel about suggesting that most anything will give a counterexample?

6. Nov 21, 2011 #5

Deveno

Science Advisor

except, obviously, for the ones i tried. please excuse me while i shave my facial omelette.

7. Nov 21, 2011 #6
    This theorem can't be proved, because (as noted by LCKurtz) it is simply false. A simple counter can be shown by letting A=B=C=i, D=j where i,j, and k are the unit vectors in the x,y, and z directions (respectively). Then

A x (B x (C x D))=i x (i x (i x j))
    =i x (i x (k))
    =i x (-j)
    A x (B x (C x D))=-k0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook