Proved the equilibrium formula

In summary, the equilibrium formula can be proved using mathematical calculations and theoretical models by finding the equilibrium point where the rate of the forward reaction equals the rate of the reverse reaction. Its significance lies in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions and determining the conditions and factors that affect equilibrium. However, it only applies to reversible reactions and can be used to calculate concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. Additionally, there are different forms of the equilibrium formula, such as the concentration form and the partial pressure form.
Haftred
In my general chemistry class, my professor proved the equilibrium formula:

Keq = ([C]c[D]d)/([A]ab)

However, I lost my notes :frown:; hopefully someone can help derive it for me. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
it's not proved in my book

Write Law of mass action for forward and backward rxn

At equilibrium rate of forward rxn= rate of backward rxn
And [tex] K_{eq} = \frac{k_f}{k_b}[/tex]

Where kf & kb represent the rate constant for fwd & bkw rxn

1. How do you prove the equilibrium formula?

The equilibrium formula can be proved using mathematical calculations and theoretical models. It involves finding the point at which the rate of the forward reaction equals the rate of the reverse reaction, which is known as the equilibrium point.

2. What is the significance of proving the equilibrium formula?

Proving the equilibrium formula allows us to understand and predict the behavior of chemical reactions. It also helps us in determining the conditions necessary for a reaction to reach equilibrium and the factors that can shift the equilibrium position.

3. Does the equilibrium formula apply to all chemical reactions?

No, the equilibrium formula only applies to reversible chemical reactions, where the products can react to form the reactants. It does not apply to irreversible reactions.

4. Can the equilibrium formula be used to calculate the concentrations of reactants and products?

Yes, the equilibrium formula can be used to determine the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium, given the initial concentrations and equilibrium constant of the reaction.

5. Are there different forms of the equilibrium formula?

Yes, the equilibrium formula can be expressed in different forms depending on the type of reaction and the units used for concentration. The most common forms are the concentration form and the partial pressure form.