Proveing Perpendicular of two vectors by applying Pythagoras rule

In summary: So c is the vector that starts from the end of vector a, and ends at the end of vector b. This means that c = b - a.
harshakantha
Given that a=(a1,a2,a3) and b=(b1,b2,b3) by applying the Pythagoras rule, Prove that a1b1+a2b2+a3b3=0 if a and b perpendicular
The Scalar product a.b = |a||b|CosQ -------------(1)
if two vectors are perpendicular; Q=90degrees
then CosQ=0;
from (1)

a.b=0
(a1,a2,a3).(b1,b2,b3)=0
a1b1+a2b2+a3b3=0

is this a correct solution for the above Question?
please can someone give me an opinion! :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The proof is correct, but they are asking for a proof by Pythagorean rule, which this isn't.

What would the Pythagorean rule be for a triangle with vectors a and b as its sides?

according to the Pythagorean rule;
for a Right triangle
|a|2+|b|2=|c|2

can you give me a hint or something to solve my question properly, :smile:

harshakantha said:
according to the Pythagorean rule;
for a Right triangle
|a|2+|b|2=|c|2

can you give me a hint or something to solve my question properly, :smile:

Can you relate c to a and b?

(I think that is a hint. :wink:)

vectors are really hard lesson to me, so please show me how to prove that equation, I don't know where to start:confused: please help me!

All right.

c is the vector that starts from the end of vector a, and ends at the end of vector b.
This means that c = b - a.
Do you know this type of vector algebra?

So you have |a|2 + |b|2 = |b - a|2

Fill in the definition of the norm and work out the algebra?

Thank you so much I like Serena, finally I was able to proved that:smile:, can you explain how did you get the equation |a|2+|b|2=|b-a|2 more?:smile:

I know about addition and subtraction of vectors, what i wanted to understand is how did you get c=b-a instead of c=a+b,
can you explain little bit more, what did you mean by,
"c is the vector that starts from the end of vector a, and ends at the end of vector b.
This means that c = b - a" ?

harshakantha said:
I know about addition and subtraction of vectors, what i wanted to understand is how did you get c=b-a instead of c=a+b,

You can use c=a+b as well.
On the wiki link in my previous post you can see that you'll get a different triangle, but that does not matter for Pythagoras, since the angle is 90 degrees.

harshakantha said:
"c is the vector that starts from the end of vector a, and ends at the end of vector b.

That is exactly what it means.

As opposed to c = a + b, where c is the vector that begins at the beginning of a, and ends at the end of b (the head-to-tail construction of vector addition).
In this case vector b would be shifted so its tail is at the head of a.

Thank you very much I like Serena. I got the idea, you are a really good helper:smile: hope to catch you again,:smile: bye...

harshakantha said:

a,b vectors determine a parallelogram, and one diagonal is c1=a+b, the other is c2=b-a, see attachment. It is all the same which one you select. You get Pythagoras equation only in case of a1b1+a2b2+a3b3=0

ehild

Attachments

• pythagor.JPG
    pythagor.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 485
wow... thank you ehild:) your attachment really helpful for me, now I got a more clear idea about |c| = |b - a|.

What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used to prove perpendicularity of two vectors?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical principle that states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to prove perpendicularity of two vectors by showing that the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero.

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product of two vectors is a mathematical operation that results in a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the products together. In other words, the dot product is the sum of the products of the x-coordinates, y-coordinates, and z-coordinates of two vectors.

How do you apply the Pythagorean theorem to prove perpendicularity of two vectors?

To prove perpendicularity of two vectors using the Pythagorean theorem, you must first calculate the dot product of the two vectors. If the dot product is equal to zero, then the two vectors are perpendicular. This is because the dot product being zero indicates that the angle between the two vectors is 90 degrees, which is a characteristic of perpendicular lines.

What happens if the dot product of two vectors is not equal to zero?

If the dot product of two vectors is not equal to zero, then the two vectors are not perpendicular. This means that the angle between the two vectors is not 90 degrees, and they do not meet the criteria for perpendicular lines. In this case, other methods must be used to prove perpendicularity.

Can the Pythagorean theorem be used to prove perpendicularity of more than two vectors?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be extended to prove perpendicularity of more than two vectors. This is done by calculating the dot product of each pair of vectors and then showing that the sum of the dot products is equal to zero. If this condition is met, then all of the vectors are perpendicular to each other.