Proving {f1,f2,f3} is a Basis for V Over F

• Thread starter boneill3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, {f1,f2,f3} is a basis for the vector space V over the field F because they are linearly independent and span V. This means that any vector in V can be written as a unique linear combination of the basis vectors {f1,f2,f3}. To prove this, you need to show that the equation c1f1 + c2f2 + c3f3 = 0 has exactly one solution for the constants c1, c2, and c3, and that any vector v in V can be written as a linear combination of f1, f2, and f3. This can be shown by rewriting the equation in terms of e1, e2, and e3
boneill3

Homework Statement

Let {e1,e2,e3} be a basis for the vgector space V over the field F.
Put f1 = -e1, f2 = e1+e2 and f3 =e1 + e3

Prove that {f1,f2,f3} is also a basis for V

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I made e1,e2,e3 be the unit bases.

e1= 0

e2= 1

e3= 1

which makes {f1,f2,f3}

f1= 0

f2= 0

f3= 1

so {f1,f2,f3} =

-1 1 1 0
a1 * 0 + a2 * 1 + a3 * 0 = 0
0 0 1 0

What i did was set this matrix equal to zero and solve.

The solution was only the trivial solution.
As this proves that {f1,f2,f3} is linear independent is that enough to show that it also is a basis ?

regards

Physics news on Phys.org
You're given an arbitrary vector space V over some field K, so you can't assume that e1, e2, and e3 are the standard basis vectors for R3. Your set {f1, f2, f3} is a basis for V iff this set is linearly independent and spans V.

For the first part, show that the equation c1f1 + c2f2 + c3f3 = 0 has exactly one solution. For the second part, show that any vector v in V can be written as a linear combination of the vectors f1, f2, and f3.

What is your definition for basis? And why are you assuming that [itex]e_i[/itex] are unit vectors?...They can have any length and still form a basis.

For the first part show that c1f1 + c2f2 + c3f3 = 0

is the equation to prove

c1(-e1) + c2(e1+e2) + c3(e1 + e3) = 0

regards

boneill3 said:
For the first part show that c1f1 + c2f2 + c3f3 = 0

is the equation to prove

c1(-e1) + c2(e1+e2) + c3(e1 + e3) = 0

regards
No. You need to prove that c1(-e1) + c2(e1 + e2) + c3(e1 + e3) = 0 has exactly one solution for the constants c1, c2, and c3.

Rewrite this equation so that it is ___e1 + ___e2 + ___e3 = 0 (you need to fill in the blanks). Use what you know about e1, e2, and e3 being a basis for V.

So I have:

f1 = -e1
f2 = e1+e2
f3 = e1+e3

I need to try and eliminate e2 and e3

so

f1 = -e1
f2+f3 = 2e1+e2+e3
f3+f2 = 2e1+e3+e2

Then

f1 = -e1
f2+f3 = 2e1+e2+e3
-1*(f3+f2) = -2e1 -e3 -e2

f1 = -e1
(f2+f3)+(-1*f3+f2) = 0

f1 = -e1
(f2+f3)+(-1*f3+f2)+f1= -e1

(f2+f3)+(-1*f3+f2)+f1= f1

(f2+f3)+(-1*f3+f2)+ (f1-f1)= 0

showing that f1,f2,f3 are independant

showing that f1,f2,f3 are independant

And how exactly does your work show this? Look at what I outlined for you in post 5.

HI Guys
In my lecture notes it says.

a set S = {U1,U2...Un} of vectors is a basis of V if every v an element of V can be written uniquely as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

I am told that:

Let {e1,e2,e3} be a basis for the vector space V over the field F.

Can I assume that they are lineary independent and therefore only equal to zero if all coefficients are zero?

so using "a set S = {U1,U2...Un} of vectors is a basis of V if every v an element of V can be written uniiquely as a linear combination of the basis vectors."

don't I just have to show that each vectore {f1,f2,f3} can be written as an linear combination of the basis vectors.

eg. f2 = e1+e3 = 1*e1 + 0*e2 + 1*e3

You said:
Rewrite this equation so that it is ___e1 + ___e2 + ___e3 = 0 (you need to fill in the blanks). Use what you know about e1, e2, and e3 being a basis for V.

As e1, e2, and e3 is a basis they are Linearly independant and span the the vector Space. So can only equal zero if all coefficients are zero

boneill3 said:
Let {e1,e2,e3} be a basis for the vector space V over the field F.

Can I assume that they are linearly independent and therefore only equal to zero if all coefficients are zero?

The vectors that form a basis are linearly independent.

don't I just have to show that each vector {f1,f2,f3} can be written as an linear combination of the basis vectors.

You need to show that any vector v in V can be written as a linear combination of {f1, f2, f3} - this shows that the set generates V

So say you got the vector e1

It can be generated by

e1 = -1*f1 + 0*f2 + 0*f3

And as The vectors e1,e2,e3 are independent so are f1 , f2 , f3

regards

What is a basis?

A basis is a set of vectors that can be used to express any vector in a vector space. It is a linearly independent set of vectors that spans the entire vector space.

What does it mean to prove a set is a basis for V over F?

To prove that a set {f1, f2, f3} is a basis for a vector space V over a field F, we need to show that the set is linearly independent and spans the entire vector space. This means that any vector in V can be written as a unique linear combination of the vectors in the set {f1, f2, f3}.

How do you show that a set is linearly independent?

To show that a set is linearly independent, we need to prove that the only way to express the zero vector as a linear combination of the vectors in the set is by setting all the coefficients to zero. This means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

How do you show that a set spans a vector space?

To show that a set spans a vector space, we need to prove that every vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. This means that any vector in the vector space can be expressed as a unique combination of the vectors in the set.

Can a set have more than one basis for a vector space?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. However, all bases for the same vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space. This means that any two bases for the same vector space will be equivalent and can be used interchangeably to express vectors in the vector space.