1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a discrete sum

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I need help in proving the equation in the attachment.

Thanks
    darkfeffy

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Start by using a double angle formula to express sin(x)^2 in terms of cos(2x). Now get started.

4. Dec 29, 2011 #3
    Here is my work in the attachment. I just fail to see how the last term in the last expression (sum(cos(2pi*i/w))) is equal to 0.

Attached Files:

5. Dec 29, 2011 #4
    Thinking it might just be an assumption that this last term is exceedingly small compared to the first.

6. Dec 29, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know Euler's formula, e^(ix)=cos(x)+i*sin(x) (i the imaginary unit, not the integer index)? That would let you treat the sum of the cos term as the real part of the sum of a geometric series. And no, there's no approximation here. The cos part really does sum to zero.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Dec 29, 2011 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are correct in that the term is exceedingly small (zero is an exceedingly small number). You are incorrect in that is an assumption.

8. Dec 29, 2011 #7
    Thanks Dick.

9. Dec 29, 2011 #8
    Thanks DH for your brilliant reply which really doesn't add much information :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook