1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a floor function

1. Nov 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok, So ive tried to prove this statement unsuccessfully.
    how would you guys do it? (assume [] means floor)

[x-1][x+1]+1 = ([x])^2

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let x= a+ r for some integer a and r between 0 and 1. [x-1]= a-1, [x+ 1]= a+1, and [x]= a.

4. Nov 6, 2012 #3
    I'll assume were working with [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Just to be clear of the definition of the floor function, it is the function [itex]\left\lfloor \right\rfloor : \mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z}[/itex], with the mapping [itex]x \in \mathbb{R} \longmapsto \mathrm{max} \left\{ y \in \mathbb{Z} : y \leq x \right\}[/itex], i.e. the floor of a real number is the maximum integer in that set.

Notice that you have a few cases, from different numbers giving different results for the floor function:
    1. [itex]x[/itex] being an integer
    2. [itex]x[/itex] not being an integer, but greater than zero
    3. [itex]x[/itex] not being an integer, but less than zero

The first case requires only a correct application of the definition of the floor function and some algebraic manipulations; just start with the left-hand side of the equation and work your way to the right-hand side (same for the other two cases), or the other way.

The second and third cases are more difficult. As already suggested, write [itex]x[/itex] in the way [itex]x = \alpha + \beta[/itex], where [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex], [itex]\beta \in \mathbb{Q} - \mathbb{Z}[/itex], i.e. [itex]\beta[/itex] to be a rational number that is not an integer. For the second case, what additional conditions would and must you apply to [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex]? Similarly for the third case? Hint: [itex]2.7 = 2 + 0.7[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook