Proving a function is bounded and continuous in a metric space.

In summary: Your name]In summary, the problem asks to show that the function fx(z) defined in the metric space (X,d) is both bounded and continuous. To prove its boundedness, we can use the fact that the range of fx(z) is contained in the finite interval [-d(a,x), d(a,x)]. To prove continuity, we can use the fact that for any open subset U of ℝ, fx-1(U) is also open, which can be shown by using the triangle inequality.
gottfried

Homework Statement

Let (X,d) be any metric space. Fix a in X and for each x in X define fx:X→ℝ by:
fx(z)=d(z,x)-d(z,a) for all z in X.

Show that fx(z) is bounded and continuous.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to tell if it is bounded. Any hints? I'm sure you have to use the triangle inequality but I'm not sure how.

So to prove f is continuous I'm going to try and use the fact that if U is open fx-1(U) must also be open if f is continuous.

So suppose U is a open subset of ℝ.
then fx-1(U) = {z in X: dist(fx(z),ℝ-U)>0}
Then for all u in fx-1(U) it implies dist(fx(u),ℝ)-U) = r > 0
so then Bx(z,r/2) is contained in f-1(U)
So fx-1(U) is open and fx is continuous.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion about how to prove that fx(z) is bounded. Here are some hints that may help you:

1. Remember that a function is bounded if its range is contained in a finite interval. In this case, the range of fx(z) is [-d(a,x), d(a,x)]. Can you see why this interval is finite?

2. To prove that fx(z) is bounded, you can use the triangle inequality in the following way: for any z in X, we have d(z,x) ≤ d(z,a) + d(a,x). Can you see how this relates to the range of fx(z)?

I hope these hints help you in your proof. Good luck with your work!

What is a metric space?

A metric space is a set of points with a distance function defined between them. This distance function satisfies certain properties, such as non-negativity, symmetry, and the triangle inequality.

What does it mean for a function to be bounded in a metric space?

A function is bounded in a metric space if there exists a constant K such that the absolute value of the function is always less than or equal to K for all points in the metric space.

How do you prove that a function is bounded in a metric space?

To prove that a function is bounded in a metric space, you need to show that there exists a constant K such that the absolute value of the function is always less than or equal to K for all points in the metric space. This can be done by using the definition of boundedness and manipulating the expression for the function.

What does it mean for a function to be continuous in a metric space?

A function is continuous in a metric space if for every point in the metric space, the limit of the function as the input approaches that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point.

How do you prove that a function is continuous in a metric space?

To prove that a function is continuous in a metric space, you need to show that for every point in the metric space, the limit of the function as the input approaches that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be done by using the definition of continuity and the properties of limits.