Proving a function is continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving continuity of a function at a specific value. The individual is trying to establish a relationship between the absolute value of the difference of the function and the value it is being evaluated at, in order to determine an appropriate value for delta. They are stuck and looking for guidance, but it is suggested that the limit definition may be a simpler approach for proving continuity in this case. Ultimately, it is concluded that the function is indeed continuous at x=2.
Jeff Ford
I am working to prove that this function is continuous at [itex] x = 2 [/itex]

[tex] f(x) = 9x–7 [/tex]

To do this I know that I have to show that [itex] \vert f(x)–f(a) \vert < \epsilon[/itex] and that [itex] \vert x-a < \delta \vert [/itex]

I tried to come up with a relationship between [itex] \vert x-2 \vert [/itex] and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] so I could get an appropriate number to choose for [itex] \delta [/itex]

This is as far as I got

[tex] \vert f(x)–f(a) \vert < \epsilon [/tex]
[tex] \vert 9x–7 \vert < \epsilon [/tex]

I’m stuck. All of the examples the text shows give equations where it is easy to factor out the [itex] \vert x-a \vert [/itex] term.

A push in the right direction would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making this way to difficult. There are two equivalent definitions of continuity. The epsilon-delta one which you are attempting to use, which will work when done correctly, and the limit definition. The latter works well when proving continuity of functions such as yours 9x-7. Stated briefly, a function f is continuous at x=a if for every sequence xn converging to a lim f(xn)=f(a) (n->inf). From here it is quickly seen that your function is continuous at x=2. Let xn be a sequence that converges to 2, xn->2 as n->inf, then lim f(xn)=f(2) (n->inf), this is just from definition of limits, however, f(a) is simply f(2). Therefore they are equivalent, implying f(x)=9x-7 is continuous at x=2.

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if there are no abrupt changes or gaps in its graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper, and small changes in the input of the function result in small changes in the output.

2. How do you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the importance of proving a function is continuous?

Proving a function is continuous is important because it ensures the function is well-behaved and can be used for various mathematical operations. It also allows for the use of certain theorems and techniques that rely on continuity.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove continuity?

Some common techniques used to prove continuity include the epsilon-delta definition of continuity, the intermediate value theorem, and the continuity properties of basic functions such as polynomials, rational functions, and trigonometric functions.

5. Can a function be continuous at some points and not others?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at some points and not others. This is known as a point of discontinuity. However, if a function is continuous at all points within a given interval, it is considered to be continuous on that interval.