Proving a Group is Cyclic: What is the Generator of G?

In summary, G is a cyclic group with a generator of f_{1} = x + 1, since its inverse f_{-1} = x - 1 together can generate any element of G through compositions and inverses.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

For each integer n, define [tex]f_{n}[/tex] by [tex]f_{n}(x) = x + n.[/tex] Let [tex]G = {f_{n} : n \in \mathbb{Z}}.[/tex] Prove that G is cyclic, and indicate a generator of G.

Homework Equations

None as far as I can tell.

The Attempt at a Solution

Doesn't this require us to find one element of [tex]G[/tex] such that, by applying that element over and over again e.g. [tex]f_n(f_n(...)[/tex] we can produce any element of G? My main problem with this is I don't understand how one could find a way to go from positive to negative elements or vice-versa. For example if we let the generator be [tex]f(x) = x + 1[/tex] how could we generate [tex]f_{-1}(x) = x - 1?[/tex] Or do I misinterpret the definition of G/requirements of a cyclic group?

Physics news on Phys.org
zooxanthellae said:
Or do I misinterpret the definition of G/requirements of a cyclic group?

Yes. Being a cyclic group means that the group can be generated by 1 element. But what does generated mean? Well, it means that if you take all compositions and all inverses, then you get the entire group.

So, in other words, a group G is cyclicly generated by x iff

[tex]G=\{...,x^{-3},x^{-2},x^{-1},e,x,x^2,x^3,...\}[/tex]

So, in your example, you don't only allow compositions of the fn, but also inverses.

Oh, so then [tex]f_{1} = x + 1[/tex] is actually a generating group, since its inverse is [tex]f_{-1} = x - 1[/tex] and together these can account for any element of G.

Thanks much micromass, the book I'm using didn't specify (or I missed it if it did) that inverses are part of a generating group. That clears things up.

1. What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element in the set. The operation must also satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, and the existence of an identity element and inverse element. In a cyclic group, every element can be generated by repeatedly applying the operation to a single element, called a generator.

2. How do you prove a group is cyclic?

To prove that a group is cyclic, you need to show that there exists an element in the group that can generate all other elements through repeated application of the group operation. This can be done by finding a single element that, when combined with itself multiple times, produces all other elements in the group. Alternatively, you can also show that the group has a finite number of elements and that every element has a finite order.

3. What is the order of a cyclic group?

The order of a cyclic group is the number of elements in the group. This can be determined by finding the number of times the generator element needs to be combined with itself to produce all other elements in the group. The order of a cyclic group must be a positive integer.

4. Can all groups be proved to be cyclic?

No, not all groups are cyclic. In fact, most groups are not cyclic. A group can only be proved to be cyclic if it has a generator element that can produce all other elements in the group through repeated application of the group operation. If a group does not have a generator element, it cannot be proved to be cyclic.

5. How is proving a group is cyclic useful?

Proving that a group is cyclic can be useful in understanding the structure and properties of the group. It can also help in solving problems and making calculations within the group. Additionally, knowing that a group is cyclic can also provide insight into other mathematical concepts and structures that are related to cyclic groups, such as subgroups and cosets.