1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a Group is Cyclic

1. Jul 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each integer n, define [tex]f_{n}[/tex] by [tex]f_{n}(x) = x + n.[/tex] Let [tex]G = {f_{n} : n \in \mathbb{Z}}.[/tex] Prove that G is cyclic, and indicate a generator of G.

2. Relevant equations

None as far as I can tell.

3. The attempt at a solution

Doesn't this require us to find one element of [tex]G[/tex] such that, by applying that element over and over again e.g. [tex]f_n(f_n(...)[/tex] we can produce any element of G? My main problem with this is I don't understand how one could find a way to go from positive to negative elements or vice-versa. For example if we let the generator be [tex]f(x) = x + 1[/tex] how could we generate [tex]f_{-1}(x) = x - 1?[/tex] Or do I misinterpret the definition of G/requirements of a cyclic group?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. Being a cyclic group means that the group can be generated by 1 element. But what does generated mean? Well, it means that if you take all compositions and all inverses, then you get the entire group.

So, in other words, a group G is cyclicly generated by x iff

[tex]G=\{...,x^{-3},x^{-2},x^{-1},e,x,x^2,x^3,...\}[/tex]

So, in your example, you don't only allow compositions of the fn, but also inverses.

4. Jul 14, 2011 #3
    Oh, so then [tex]f_{1} = x + 1[/tex] is actually a generating group, since its inverse is [tex]f_{-1} = x - 1[/tex] and together these can account for any element of G.

Thanks much micromass, the book I'm using didn't specify (or I missed it if it did) that inverses are part of a generating group. That clears things up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook