Proving a known function of position via Chain Rule

In summary, the Chain Rule can be used to prove that for rectilinear motion, the velocity as a function of position can be found via the integral of acceleration. This is shown by using the Chain Rule on the integral of vdv, which is equivalent to the left fraction in the relevant equation.
kylera

Homework Statement

Use the Chain Rule to prove that for rectilinear motion, when the acceleration is a known function of position, you can find the velocity as a function of position via the integral

[tex]\frac{v^{2}-v_{0}^{2}}{2} = \int^{s}_{s_{0}}a(s)ds[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]v^{2}=v_{0}^{2}\times2as[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the left fraction, substituted v^2, simplified and got [tex]as[/tex]. I let A be as, then took dA to get a da. Now I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you simplified wrong. It's a multipication sign not addition. See what I mean?

Hold up, I wrote the question on the board wrong -- it is supposed to be a plus for the relevant equation part.

I'm not exactly sure what they're asking here. For constant accelerations, you "relevant equation" is basically the answer, assuming you swap out the "x" for a "+" and take a square root. What's throwing me is the request for proof by chain rule.

Chain Rule

kylera said:

Homework Statement

Use the Chain Rule to prove that for rectilinear motion, when the acceleration is a known function of position, you can find the velocity as a function of position via the integral

[tex]\frac{v^{2}-v_{0}^{2}}{2} = \int^{s}_{s_{0}}a(s)ds[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]v^{2}=v_{0}^{2}\times2as[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the left fraction, substituted v^2, simplified and got [tex]as[/tex]. I let A be as, then took dA to get a da. Now I'm stuck.

Hi kylera! :smile:

You were asked to use the Chain Rule. So …

Hint: the LHS is ∫vdv. So use the Chain Rule on dv. :smile:

1. What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when a function is composed of two or more functions, and we need to find the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function.

2. How do you use the Chain Rule to prove a known function of position?

To prove a known function of position using the Chain Rule, we first need to express the function in terms of a composite function. Then, we can use the Chain Rule to find the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and substitute the inner function with the known function of position.

3. Can the Chain Rule be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be applied to any type of function as long as it is composed of two or more functions. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used extensively in various fields of science and engineering.

4. What are the common mistakes made when using the Chain Rule?

One common mistake when using the Chain Rule is forgetting to apply the derivative to the inner function. Another mistake is not simplifying the final expression after applying the Chain Rule. It is also important to correctly identify the inner and outer functions in order to apply the Chain Rule correctly.

5. How can the Chain Rule be visualized?

The Chain Rule can be visualized as a chain of functions, where the output of one function becomes the input of the next function. It can also be represented graphically as a series of curves, with the derivative at each point being the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.