Proving the Limit in a Power Series: How Does the Solution Work?

• Thread starter ecoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
As n gets larger and larger, ##\frac{1}{n+1}## gets smaller and smaller. And as x is raised to larger powers, it also gets smaller and smaller unless x = 0 or 1. So, for any real x, the series will converge.
ecoo

Homework Statement

Section is on using power series to calculate functions, the problem is on proving the limit, solution is also attached but I do not see how the solution proves the limit.

Homework Equations

Convergent power series form

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to represent the series with a Maclaurin series, but that leads nowhere. Could someone help explain why the solution given works?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
ecoo said:

Homework Statement

Section is on using power series to calculate functions, the problem is on proving the limit, solution is also attached but I do not see how the solution proves the limit.

Homework Equations

Convergent power series form

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to represent the series with a Maclaurin series, but that leads nowhere.
The problem doesn't ask you to find a Maclaurin series -- it just asks you to prove the limit that is given.

ecoo said:
Could someone help explain why the solution given works?
The proof seems very straightforward to me. What part of it do you not understand?

Mark44 said:
The problem doesn't ask you to find a Maclaurin series -- it just asks you to prove the limit that is given.The proof seems very straightforward to me. What part of it do you not understand?

I don't see how showing that the series converges for all x proves that the limit as n approaches 0 is equal to 0 for all x.

ecoo said:
I don't see how showing that the series converges for all x proves that the limit as n approaches 0 is equal to 0 for all x.
This is true in general for any convergent series. If ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n## converges, then ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##. This is sometimes called the n'th term test when stated in its contrapositive form: if the sequence ##a_n## does not converge to zero, then the series ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n## diverges.

The converse is false, as shown by the example ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(1/n)##, which diverges even though ##\lim_{n\to\infty}1/n = 0##.

jbunniii said:
This is true in general for any convergent series. If ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n## converges, then ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = 0##. This is sometimes called the n'th term test when stated in its contrapositive form: if the sequence ##a_n## does not converge to zero, then the series ##\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n## diverges.

The converse is false, as shown by the example ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(1/n)##, which diverges even though ##\lim_{n\to\infty}1/n = 0##.

That's true, but aren't we trying to prove the limit as n approaches 0, not infinity?

ecoo said:
That's true, but aren't we trying to prove the limit as n approaches 0, not infinity?
What you just wrote makes no sense. They are trying to prove that the limit is zero, as n approaches infinity. More specifically, that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac {x^n}{n!} = 0##. They are using the Ratio Test to prove this.

In addition, this work also proves that the series ##\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}## is convergent, for the reason jbunniii gave.

Mark44 said:
What you just wrote makes no sense. They are trying to prove that the limit is zero, as n approaches infinity. More specifically, that ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac {x^n}{n!} = 0##. They are using the Ratio Test to prove this.

In addition, this work also proves that the series ##\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}## is convergent, for the reason jbunniii gave.

The first sentence, they are trying to prove the limit is 0 as n approaches 0.

ecoo said:
The first sentence, they are trying to prove the limit is 0 as n approaches 0.
You're right. The type is so small in the image you posted that I misread the 0 for ∞.

I'm pretty sure that the ##n \to 0## under "lim" is a typo. The other work shown suggests strongly that it should be ##\lim_{n \to \infty}## which is what I mistook it to be.

Mark44 said:
You're right. The type is so small in the image you posted that I misread the 0 for ∞.

I'm pretty sure that the ##n \to 0## under "lim" is a typo. The other work shown suggests strongly that it should be ##\lim_{n \to \infty}## which is what I mistook it to be.

Ah, I see. How would one go about prove the limit as n approaches 0, or would it be very hard?

No, it's not hard. If ##x \ne 0##, ##\lim_{x \to 0}\frac {x^n}{n!}## = 1. As ##n \to 0, x^n \to 1##, and 0! is defined to be 1. ##0^0## is indeterminate, though, which is why I qualified what I said about x not being equal to zero.

Likes ecoo
It doesn't make much sense to talk about the limit as ##n## approaches zero. This is because ##n## is an integer, so the only way it can approach zero is by being zero. So, the limit of a sequence ##a_n## as ##n## approaches zero is simply ##a_0##.

Likes ecoo
Perhaps try separating the ##|x|## and the ##\frac{1}{n+1}## and you may see why it works for any real x.

It has to do with the value of ##\frac{1}{n+1}## as n approaches infinity.

1. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value or point. It is used to determine the value that a function is approaching, rather than the actual value at that point.

2. How do you prove a limit?

To prove a limit, you must show that as the input approaches a certain value, the output of the function also approaches a specific value. This can be done through various methods such as the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or using algebraic manipulation.

3. What is the purpose of proving a limit?

The purpose of proving a limit is to formally show the behavior of a function as the input approaches a particular value. This can help in understanding the behavior of a function and its properties, as well as making predictions about the function's values at certain points.

4. Can a limit exist even if a function is not defined at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if a function is not defined at that point. This is because a limit only describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a particular value, not what happens at that value.

5. What are some common techniques used to prove limits?

Some common techniques used to prove limits include the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, and algebraic manipulation. Other methods such as the use of L'Hôpital's rule or Taylor series expansion may also be used in more complex cases.