1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a matrix is Bijective

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

C=
    a -b
    b a
    and p is the mapping Complex numbers --> C by the rule p(a+ib)=
    a -b
    b a
    Show that p is a bijection

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I need to prove it is both injective and surjective. For Injectivity I have tried showing that the determinate=0, but all I got was detA=a^2 + b^2 and for surjectivity. I also know that any non square matrix cannot be bijective, so attempted to involve this in the answer, but I don't think this is the right thing to be doing.

I have no idea what to do. I have not tackled questions similar to this before, so don't really have any idea what path I should be following.

Any help hugely welcome.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your problem description is confusing. Are you saying that p maps a complex number to a 2 x 2 matrix? In any case, this is a square matrix, so don't waste your time talking about nonsquare matrices.

To show that the mapping is injective (which if I recall is a synonym for one-to-one), the determinant can't be zero. You want to show that distinct complex numbers map to distinct matrices. I.e., if a1 + b1i [itex]\neq[/itex] a2 + b2i, then p(a1 + b1i) [itex]\neq[/itex] p(a2 + b2i). Equivalently, if p(a1 + b1i) = p(a2 + b2i), then a1 + b1i = a2 + b2i.

To show that the mapping is surjective (onto), show that for any 2 x 2 matrix of the form in this problem, there is a complex number a + bi such that p(a + bi) = that matrix.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also, as to your title "proving a matrix is bijective", you don't want to prove anything about "bijective matrices". I think that mislead Marl44. A matrix represents a linear transformation and the linear transformation represented by a square matrix is bijective if and only if the determinant of the matrix is non-zero. There is no such condition on the determinants of the matrices here. For example, what matrix is the complex number 0 mapped to by this mapping? What is the determinant of that matrix?

What you want to prove is that the mapping
    [tex]a+ bi \rightarrow \begin{bmatrix}a & -b \\ b & a\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    is a bijective mapping from C, the set of complex numbers, to the set of two by two anti-symmetric matrices is bijective.

To prove it is "injective" (one-to-one) You need to prove that if a+ bi and c+ di are mapped to the same matrix, then a+ bi= c+ di. That should be easy. To prove it is surjective, you need to show that some a+ bi is mapped into any matrix of the form
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & -y \\ y & x\end{bmatrix}[/itex]
    and you can do that by showing what a and b must equal to give that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook