1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving A Property Of Numbers

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The statement that is purported to be true is [itex]\frac{a/b}{c/d} = \frac{ad}{bc}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, I am going along with my proof, and I believe it to be going nicely. However, there is one step that I am unsure of:

[itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} = \frac{\frac{a}{b} d}{c} \cdot d \cdot d^{-1} \Rightarrow \frac{\frac{a}{b} d \cdot d^{-1}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}}[/itex]. Now, what I want to do is [itex]\frac{\frac{a}{b}}{c d^{-1}} = \frac{\frac{a}{b}}{\frac{c}{d}}[/itex]. But I am having trouble justifying the step [itex]\frac{1}{d^{-1}} =
    \frac{1}{\frac{1}{d}}[/itex]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi embphysics! :smile:

i'm not sure what formulas you're allowed to use :confused:

anyway, why not just multiply the RHS, ad/bc, by the bottom of the LHS, c/d ? :wink:

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3
    Well, the formulas and properties I am permitted to use are given in the first chapter of Spivak's Calculus. So, tiny-tim, I am not certain that that manipulation is defined.

5. Nov 18, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why not just use the definition? ##A/B## is that number ##X## which, when multiplied by ##B##, gives you ##A##; that is, it is the solution of the equation ##BX = A##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted