1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a seqeunce converges

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] proving a seqeunce converges

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the sequence [itex]\frac{n!}{n^n}[/itex] converges to 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given [itex]\epsilon > 0[/itex], how do I find N? We know that the nth term is less than or equal to
    [tex]\left(\frac{n-1}{n}\right)^{n-1}[/tex]
    but that really does not help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… in a fight, always pick off the smallest ones …

Hi ehrenfest! :smile:

Hint: write it (1/n)(2/n)(3/n)…(n/n);

the early bits go down much faster than the later bits; so can you see a way of splitting off some of the early bits, and prove that they tend to zero? :smile:

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    Yes, I was trying to do something like that. If I can show that any factor in that product goes to 0, then the whole thing has to because the rest will be less than 1. If I collect the first n/2 ceiling terms, then I get (1/2)^(n/2) if n is even, and that needs to got to zero, doesn't it? I see, thanks. When n is odd we get something similar.

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right! :smile:

(And don't forget, your proof should begin something like "For any epsilon, choose N such that 2^-N …")

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?