Proving a sequence converges

In summary: After all, Cauchy sequences are named after the French mathematician Jules-César Cauchy, right?Not quite. The name "Cauchy sequence" was first given to them by the German mathematician Wilhelm Weber in 1837.
Matt B.

Homework Statement

: [/B]Prove that if xn is a sequence such that |xn - xn+1| ≤ (1/3n), for all n = 1,2,..., then it converges.

Homework Equations

: [/B]The definition of convergence.

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B] I attempted to prove this by induction, so I am clearly far off the mark here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
A good start would be to write down your definition of convergence. All the hints that are likely to be needed are in that definition.

Our definition of convergence provided is the following:

{an} converges to A if ∀ε>0, ∃a positive integer N such that n ≥ N => | an - A | < ε.

I'm not sure how I am supposed to use this in the example above?

Matt B. said:
Our definition of convergence provided is the following:

{an} converges to A if ∀ε>0, ∃a positive integer N such that n ≥ N => | an - A | < ε.

I'm not sure how I am supposed to use this in the example above?

Have you ever heard of Cauchy sequences?

Ray Vickson said:
Have you ever heard of Cauchy sequences?
Yes.

Matt B. said:
Yes.

OK... so?

Ray Vickson said:
OK... so?

Do I just assume that xn can be substituted for the usual xn and that xn+1 be substituted for xm and attempt to find the n,n+1 ≥ N such that | xn - xn+1 | < ε, given ε > 0?

Matt B. said:
Do I just assume that xn can be substituted for the usual xn and that xn+1 be substituted for xm and attempt to find the n,n+1 ≥ N such that | xn - xn+1 | < ε, given ε > 0?

No, that is not what a Cauchy sequence is all about. A sequence is Cauchy if, given any ##\epsilon > 0## there is an ##N = N(\epsilon)## such that ##|x_n - x_m|< \epsilon## for all ##n,m > N##. Note that this is ##|x_n - x_m|##, not just ##|x_n - x_{n+1}|##.

You might guess that if I mention Cauchy sequences, that must be for a good reason.

1. What does it mean for a sequence to converge?

A sequence converges if its terms approach a specific value (called the limit) as the number of terms in the sequence increases. This means that the terms get closer and closer to the limit value, and eventually stay within a certain distance (called the epsilon value) from the limit value.

2. How do you prove that a sequence converges?

To prove that a sequence converges, you must show that the terms of the sequence get arbitrarily close to the limit value. This can be done through various methods, such as the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, or the monotone convergence theorem.

3. What is the epsilon-delta definition of convergence?

The epsilon-delta definition of convergence states that a sequence converges to a limit L if, for any epsilon value (ε) greater than 0, there exists a corresponding delta value (δ) such that if the distance between any term in the sequence and L is less than δ, then the distance between all subsequent terms and L will also be less than ε.

4. Can a sequence have multiple limits?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. If a sequence has multiple limit points, it is considered to be divergent.

5. Is the limit of a convergent sequence unique?

Yes, the limit of a convergent sequence is unique. This means that if a sequence has a limit, that limit value will be the same regardless of the method used to prove convergence.