1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a sequence converges

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Prove that if xn is a sequence such that |xn - xn+1| ≤ (1/3n), for all n = 1,2,..., then it converges.

2. Relevant equations: The definition of convergence.

3. The attempt at a solution: I attempted to prove this by induction, so I am clearly far off the mark here. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A good start would be to write down your definition of convergence. All the hints that are likely to be needed are in that definition.

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    Our definition of convergence provided is the following:

{an} converges to A if ∀ε>0, ∃a positive integer N such that n ≥ N => | an - A | < ε.

I'm not sure how I am supposed to use this in the example above?

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you ever heard of Cauchy sequences?

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5
    Yes.

7. Oct 13, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK.... so?

8. Oct 13, 2015 #7
    Do I just assume that xn can be substituted for the usual xn and that xn+1 be substituted for xm and attempt to find the n,n+1 ≥ N such that | xn - xn+1 | < ε, given ε > 0?

9. Oct 13, 2015 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, that is not what a Cauchy sequence is all about. A sequence is Cauchy if, given any ##\epsilon > 0## there is an ##N = N(\epsilon)## such that ##|x_n - x_m|< \epsilon## for all ##n,m > N##. Note that this is ##|x_n - x_m|##, not just ##|x_n - x_{n+1}|##.

You might guess that if I mention Cauchy sequences, that must be for a good reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted