1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a sequence is Cauchy?

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1
    Hello all. I'm having trouble on the following homework problem. It seems like it should be easy, but I'm just now sure how to approach it

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex](s_n)[/tex] be a sequence st [tex]|s_{n+1} - s_n | < 2^{-n}, \forall n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

show that [tex](s_n)[/tex] converges

3. The attempt at a solution

well I thought the easiest way to prove it would be to show it's a Cauchy sequence and therefore convergent, but perhaps that's the wrong approach. What's a good starting point for a problem like this?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good starting point is to show it's Cauchy. But you already knew that. Just do it. Cauchy means |s_n-s_m|<epsilon for n and m greater than N. The maximum difference between s_n and s_m involves summing a lot of large powers of 1/2. Use the triangle inequality.

4. Jul 8, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To show that a sequence is Cauchy you must show that [itex]|a_m- a_n|[/itex] goes to 0 as m and n go to infinity independently (in particular, you cannot assume that m= n+1).

But [itex]|a_{n+2}- a_n|\le |a_{n+2}- a{n+1}|+ |a{n+1}- a_n|[/itex], [itex]|a_{n+3}- a_n|\le |a_{n+3}- a_{n+2}|+ |a_{n+2}- a{n+1}|+ |a{n+1}- a_n|[/itex], etc.

You can use the given property on each of those and use induction to show the general case.

5. Jul 8, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

asaaaa

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?