1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a set is connected

1. Nov 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the group G where [itex]G = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} \cos\theta & -
    sin\theta & u \\ \sin\theta & \cos\theta & v \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) u,v \in \Re, \theta \in \Re/2\pi Z [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

I know that a set is connected if it is not the disjoint union of two non-empty sets, if any two elements in G can be joined by a [itex]C^k[/itex] path in G, and if G is generated by a neighbourhood of 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that it would be easiest to show that G is not the disjoint union of two non-empty sets, and I was trying to do it by contradiction, but got nowhere.

Any hints/nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Path connectivity is often the easiest direction to go in, especially when your set is parametrized by real numbers

4. Nov 10, 2011 #3
    Would it then work to say that you can take the function f: [0,1] -> G, where f = tg + (1-t)g' with g, g' members of G. f(0) =g and f(1) = g' so G is indeed connected?

Or am I missing something here?

5. Nov 10, 2011 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not quite right. Imagine
    [tex]g = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 1 &
    0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

[tex]g' = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 0 &
    -1 & 0\\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

then the halfway point is

[tex]g = \left(\begin{array}{ccc} 1/2 & -
    1/2 & 0\\ 1/2 & 1/2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

which isn't actually of the desired form. You need to be a little more careful about how you deal with the sin and cos terms

2. Relevant equations

I know that a set is connected if it is not the disjoint union of two non-empty sets, if any two elements in G can be joined by a [itex]C^k[/itex] path in G, and if G is generated by a neighbourhood of 1.

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that it would be easiest to show that G is not the disjoint union of two non-empty sets, and I was trying to do it by contradiction, but got nowhere.

Any hints/nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

6. Nov 11, 2011 #5
    Yeah, I realised that last night when I was showering.

However, I can't seem to find a curve that will actually suit all of the conditions, namely that:
    f(t) = a(t)g + b(t)g' with b(t) + a(t) = 1 from the bottom right corner and that a(t)cos(x) + b(t)cos(y) = cos(z) and a(t)sin(x) + b(t)sin(y) = sin(z).

I think it may just be easier to show that any g in G can be written as an exponential, and so then all points are joined together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook