1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving A subspace

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. Let V={X [itex]\in[/itex] R2 : (1 2) X= (0)}
    ..........................(3 4) ..... (0)
    Show that V is a subspace of R^2 with the usual operations. What is the dimension of V

2. Relevant Equations

3. I am really kind of lost, the statement seems to make no sense. X is in R but it also = the matrix [1 2, 3 4] but also equals the matrix [0,0]?
    Is v not a subspace of R^2 because it equals the zero vector? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, X is a vector in R2.
    No, this is a 2 x 2 matrix, so it can't possibly be equal to a vector in R2.
    No again.

Here is your matrix:
    $$\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4\end{bmatrix} $$
    Let's call it A

Here is your vector x
    $$\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\end{bmatrix} $$

V is all of the vectors in R2 such that Ax = 0, where 0 is the zero vector in R2.

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    Isn't the only solution to that equation [0,0]? Hence, it is not a subspace because the only solution is the zero vector? Thanks again

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

Mark44

Maybe. Why do you think so?
    A set with only the zero vector in it is a subspace of whatever space it's in.

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5
    So essentially the dimension is then 1 because the basis is the zero vector? Is that possible and I think so because reducing the matrix [1 2, 3 4] gives the identity which set to 0 means that the only solution is at x=[0,0]

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6

Mark44

You're mostly on track here. Since the basis for V is just the zero vector, the dimension of V is zero, not one. Your matrix A maps every nonzero vector in R to some other nonzero vector.

8. Sep 26, 2012 #7
    Thanks! Okay, so how would I go about proving V is a subspace of R^2 though? Like in terms of addition and multiplication being closed? Do I just pretend that two vectors in V are [a,b] and [c,d]??

9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only element of V is [0,0]. Doesn't that make it pretty easy to show it's a subspace? It's a trivial subspace.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook