Show Proving V is a Subspace of R2, Dimension of V

• Thread starter nautolian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, V is a subspace of R^2 with dimension zero, as its only element is the zero vector. This can be easily proven by showing that the zero vector is closed under addition and multiplication.
nautolian
1. Let V={X [itex]\in[/itex] R2 : (1 2) X= (0)}
......(3 4) ... (0)
Show that V is a subspace of R^2 with the usual operations. What is the dimension of V

2. Homework Equations

3. I am really kind of lost, the statement seems to make no sense. X is in R but it also = the matrix [1 2, 3 4] but also equals the matrix [0,0]?
Is v not a subspace of R^2 because it equals the zero vector? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nautolian said:
1. Let V={X [itex]\in[/itex] R2 : (1 2) X= (0)}
......(3 4) ... (0)
Show that V is a subspace of R^2 with the usual operations. What is the dimension of V

2. Homework Equations

3. I am really kind of lost, the statement seems to make no sense. X is in R
No, X is a vector in R2.
nautolian said:
but it also = the matrix [1 2, 3 4]
No, this is a 2 x 2 matrix, so it can't possibly be equal to a vector in R2.
nautolian said:
but also equals the matrix [0,0]?
No again.

Here is your matrix:
$$\begin{bmatrix}1 & 2 \\ 3 & 4\end{bmatrix} $$
Let's call it A

Here is your vector x
$$\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2\end{bmatrix} $$

V is all of the vectors in R2 such that Ax = 0, where 0 is the zero vector in R2.
nautolian said:
Is v not a subspace of R^2 because it equals the zero vector? Thanks for the help.

Isn't the only solution to that equation [0,0]? Hence, it is not a subspace because the only solution is the zero vector? Thanks again

nautolian said:
Isn't the only solution to that equation [0,0]?
Maybe. Why do you think so?
nautolian said:
Hence, it is not a subspace because the only solution is the zero vector?
A set with only the zero vector in it is a subspace of whatever space it's in.
nautolian said:
Thanks again

So essentially the dimension is then 1 because the basis is the zero vector? Is that possible and I think so because reducing the matrix [1 2, 3 4] gives the identity which set to 0 means that the only solution is at x=[0,0]

nautolian said:
So essentially the dimension is then 1 because the basis is the zero vector? Is that possible and I think so because reducing the matrix [1 2, 3 4] gives the identity which set to 0 means that the only solution is at x=[0,0]
You're mostly on track here. Since the basis for V is just the zero vector, the dimension of V is zero, not one. Your matrix A maps every nonzero vector in R to some other nonzero vector.

Thanks! Okay, so how would I go about proving V is a subspace of R^2 though? Like in terms of addition and multiplication being closed? Do I just pretend that two vectors in V are [a,b] and [c,d]??

nautolian said:
Thanks! Okay, so how would I go about proving V is a subspace of R^2 though? Like in terms of addition and multiplication being closed? Do I just pretend that two vectors in V are [a,b] and [c,d]??

The only element of V is [0,0]. Doesn't that make it pretty easy to show it's a subspace? It's a trivial subspace.

What is the definition of a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space, including closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

How do you prove that V is a subspace of R2?

To prove that V is a subspace of R2, we need to show that it satisfies the three properties of a subspace: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This can be done by showing that for any two vectors in V, their sum and scalar multiples are also in V.

What is the dimension of V?

The dimension of V is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. In other words, it is the number of vectors required to form a basis for V.

Can V have more than one dimension?

No, a subspace can only have one dimension. This means that all vectors in V can be expressed as a linear combination of a single basis vector.

How does the dimension of V affect its properties?

The dimension of V affects its properties in that it determines the number of vectors required to span the subspace and the number of parameters needed to fully describe the subspace. A higher dimension allows for more freedom in expressing vectors within the subspace.