1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a vector space.

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be the set of ordered pairs (x, y) of real numbers with the operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication given by:
    (x, y) + (x', y') = (y + y', x + x')
    c(x, y) = (cx, cy)

V is not a vector space. List one of the properties from the definition of vector space that fails to hold for V. Justify your answer.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I really do not have any idea on how to get started on this question. I've tried all 8 properties of a vector space and, at least to me, it holds for all 8 properties and should thus be a vector space, but the question explicitly says it is not. I have the answer to the question, but would like to try a different approach to proving it is not a vector space. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

not the first one interchanges x & y, try and use that to find a counterexample... does a zero element exist such that v+0=0 for all v?

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

lanedance means "v+ 0= v".

What is (x, y)+ (0, 0)?

You should see that (0, 0) is NOT the "0 vector" but then you have to show that no other vector can be:
    (x, y)+ (u, v)= (y+ v, x+ u)= (x, y) gives what?

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4
    How exactly did you get (x, y) from (y + v, x + u)?

As to your first question: (x, y) + (0, 0) = (y + 0, x + 0) = (y, x)

But, (x, y) - (y, x) = (y - x, x - y) ≠ (0, 0) assuming, of course, that x ≠ y.

Is this sufficient to prove that V is not a vector space?

6. Oct 19, 2011 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that only shows that (0, 0) is not the 0 vector. It doesn't mean that some other vector, a, say, does not have the property that v+ a= v for all v.

That was why I wrote (x, y)+ (u, v)= (y+ v, x+ u)= (x, y).
    I did NOT get (x,y) from (y+ v, x+ u), I am saying that if (u, v) is the 0 vector then that must be true. Now, show that u and v cannot be independent of x and y.

7. Oct 19, 2011 #6
    Ah, yes. I was thinking in terms of subspaces (where the standard zero vector exists in the vector space it is a subset of).

Let's say (a, b) is part of the set V, then using the associativity property of addition:

(a,b) + ((x, y) + (u, v)) = (y + v, x + u) + (a, b) = (x + u + b, y + v + a)

(x, y) + ((a, b) + (u, v)) = (b + v, a + u) + (x, y) = (a + u + y, b + v + x)

Since (a + u + y, b + v + x) ≠ (x + u + b, y + v + a), the associativity property of vector addition does not hold, and hence, V is not a vector space. Correct?

8. Oct 19, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

exactly, cheers

9. Oct 19, 2011 #8

lanedance

Homework Helper

good enough for me

10. Oct 19, 2011 #9

lanedance

Homework Helper

thw way I was hinting about the zero vector was as follows:

say the additive identity element 0 exists, lets call it 0=(p,q)

now take an arbitrary element (x,y), it must satisfy
    (x,y)+(p,q) = (x,y)

but
    (x,y)+(p,q) = ((y+q), (x+p))

for the "zero: property to be true we must have
    q=x-y
    p=y-x

hence no universal 0=(p,q) element exists

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook