Proving a weak solution to PDE

• Thread starter dochalladay32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde Weak
In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to discontinuities in a Riemann problem. The solution is a piecewise constant function and the focus should be on ensuring continuity and satisfying boundary conditions. The Rankine-Hugoniot condition can be used to check if the jump in the derivative of the solution is consistent with the jump in the equation's right hand side.
dochalladay32
Since the hurricane has killed school for awhile, I was working on some stuff that I knew we would not cover in class any more, but could end up on a test and I got to this question. It seems like it should be simple, but I have been stumped all day. Don't know if anyone here will have the expertise to explain what is happening on the discontinuities. Luckily the question is an ebook; much easier to post as an image than try to type. It is Salsa's PDE's in Action, by the way, if anyone wants to see more.

So it is obvious that in each region, it is a weak (actually a strong) solution since they are constants. The problem is what happens when you pass over the discontinuities? As it is a Riemann problem with u_L < u_R, the rarefaction fan is the entropy solution we are looking for and the lines for those discontinuities have nothing to do with a RH condition. If you try to use that formula, where f(u) = 1/2*u^2, they don't match up. We are fine at 0, but when you try to show it is a weak solution across the other two lines, I can't get them to go to 0.

Anybody have some advice on how to look at this problem? It doesn't really seem to follow from what I found in the text, but maybe I missed something.

Attachments

• 4.11.jpg
    4.11.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key here is to realize that the solution is a piecewise constant function, so you don’t have to worry about how the values change across the discontinuities. Instead, focus on the fact that the solution is continuous, and satisfies the boundary conditions. You can then use the Rankine-Hugoniot condition to check that the jump in the derivative of the solution across the discontinuities is consistent with the jump in the right hand side of the equation.

1. What is a weak solution to a PDE?

A weak solution to a PDE (partial differential equation) is a function that satisfies the PDE in a generalized sense. This means that the function may not satisfy the PDE at every point, but it satisfies the PDE when integrated against a certain class of test functions.

2. Why is it important to prove a weak solution to a PDE?

Proving a weak solution to a PDE is important because it allows us to find solutions to PDEs that may not have traditional solutions, or solutions that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This is especially useful in mathematical modeling, where PDEs often arise.

3. What are some common techniques for proving a weak solution to a PDE?

Some common techniques for proving a weak solution to a PDE include using variational methods, such as the Galerkin method, and using energy estimates. Other techniques include using the method of characteristics or the method of continuity.

4. Can a weak solution to a PDE be unique?

No, a weak solution to a PDE is not necessarily unique. This is because there may be multiple functions that satisfy the PDE in a generalized sense. In order to prove uniqueness, additional assumptions or boundary conditions are often needed.

5. How does a weak solution to a PDE differ from a classical solution?

A classical solution to a PDE is a function that satisfies the PDE at every point in the domain. In contrast, a weak solution only needs to satisfy the PDE in a generalized sense. This means that a weak solution may not be differentiable at every point, while a classical solution must be. Additionally, a classical solution must also satisfy any boundary conditions, while a weak solution only needs to satisfy them in a generalized sense.