1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving AA^T is Symmetrical

1. May 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Mary Boas 3.9.5

Show that the product AA^T is a symmetric matrix.

2. Relevant equations

$${ \left( AB \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ ik } } { B }_{ kj }$$

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not have a solution for this one, so could someone please check my work? I never took geometry or was required to do any proofs in calculus, so go easy on me.

If $${ \left( AA \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ ik } } A_{ kj }$$, then $${ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ ik } } A_{ jk }$$.

∴ $${ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ij }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ jk } } A_{ ik }=\sum _{ k }^{ }{ { A }_{ jk } } { A }_{ ki }^{ T }={ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ji }$$

Since, $$ { \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ij }={ \left( A{ A }^{ T } \right) }_{ ji }$$, $$A{ A }^{ T } $$ is a symmetric matrix.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2014 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it looks fine to me. Using exactly the same method of proof, you can show that ##(XY)^T = Y^T X^T## for any matrices ##X## and ##Y## of the appropriate size for the product to make sense. The symmetry of ##AA^T## is a special case of this result: set ##X = A## and ##Y = A^T##.

4. May 7, 2014 #3
    You cannot have ##A_{ki}^T## because ##A_{ki}## is a term in the matrix. Note however that the terms commute so

##A_{jk}A_{ik}=A_{ik}A_{jk}##

##(AA^T)_{ij}=\sum_kA_{jk}A_{ik}=\sum_kA_{ik}A_{jk}=(AA^T)_{ji}##

5. May 7, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assumed he meant ##(A^T)_{ki}##, the element in row ##k## and column ##i## of ##A^T##, which is of course the same as ##A_{ik}##.

6. May 7, 2014 #5
    Okay, then its fine.

7. May 7, 2014 #6
    Yes, indeed that is what I meant, but I did not know how to express it.

Chris

8. May 8, 2014 #7
    A friend of mine suggested $${ { (AA }^{ T }) }^{ T }={ A }^{ T }A$$ which is incorrect, but it led me to the MUCH more elegant proof using the "Relevant EQ" above to get $${ { (AA }^{ T }) }^{ T }={ AA }^{ T }$$. I think that does the job very nicely.

Regards,
    Chris Maness

9. May 8, 2014 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Both correct and nice. Very nicely indeed.

10. May 8, 2014 #9
    Thank you for the encouragement. I have been working my butt off in this book. I started chapter 1 in the middle of February and I am only in Chapter 3, but I am doing every problem I have a solution and/or answer for. Chapter 3 is hard work because I have never had linear algebra.

Chris

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted