1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an axiom

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was asked to prove the axioms of a field.
    so, if we look at the first one:
    commutativity: a+b=b+a and a*b=b*a where a and b belong in the set of the field

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

it's tempting to just substitute values but i know this is the wrong approach since this wouldnt prove the axiom for all values in the set. so im stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2
    It would help a lot if we knew what the set was.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3
    the question just says: prove the axioms of a field.
    but the chapter we are studying is complex numbers so maybe i have to prove them for complex numbers. if so, would this proof be good enough:
    for: a+b=b+a: where a=u+vi and b=x+yi
    u+vi+x+yi=x+yi+u+vi
    ??

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    mmmmm. I suppose you can't just say that C is isomorphic to R[x]/(x2 + 1) and that because (x2 + 1) is maximal, it must be a field?

How you write the proof depends on how you've defined complex numbers and how you've defined addition and multiplication. Is the definition something like a + bi = (a, b)?

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    what do you mean '(x^2+1) i maximal' here?
    yes that's the definition we use for complex numbers.

7. Oct 2, 2009 #6
    Ok, then what you want to do for commutativity of addition is (a, b) + (c, d) = (a + c, b + d) = (c + a, d + b) = (c, d) + (a, b).

Do you notice how we "got a free ride" once we got a and c in the same tuple? That just reduces to commutativity of the reals, which I assume you can take for granted.

As far as the maximal thing, it just means that the ideal generated by x1 + 1 in the polynomial ring over R isn't contained in any others. You'll probably learn about it if you're taking an algebra class. It was mainly just a joke.

8. Oct 2, 2009 #7
    :) ok
    I understand the proof now.
    for a*b=b*a, would this be convincing:
    (a,b)*(c,d)=(a+bi)(c+di)=(ac-bd, bc+ad)=(ca-db, cb+da)=(c,d)*(a,b)

9. Oct 2, 2009 #8
    You don't need to stick the term that I struck out in there. Remember, i is just (0, 1). Other than that, it looks great though.

10. Oct 2, 2009 #9
    thank you. now i can prove the other axioms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook