Proving Inequality: a/b < (a+1)/(b+1) for b > a | Solution and Attempt

• Thread starter John H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if b is a positive number and a is less than b, then a divided by b is less than (a+1) divided by (b+1). The person asking for help has tried various methods but has not been successful. Another person suggests clearing out the fractions and adding ab to both sides to prove the inequality.
John H

Homework Statement

Prove that if b is a positive number, such that a < b, then
a/b<(a+1)/(b+1)

2. The attempt at a solution

I have tried a few things, attempting to prove it using the real line, and a bunch of other methods but have had no success. I Would greatly appreciate it if u can at least get me started.

Physics news on Phys.org
John H said:

Homework Statement

Prove that if b is a positive number, such that a < b, then
a/b<(a+1)/(b+1)

2. The attempt at a solution

I have tried a few things, attempting to prove it using the real line, and a bunch of other methods but have had no success. I Would greatly appreciate it if u can at least get me started.

Clear out the fractions, i.e. multiply both sides by the common denominator. You didn't try that?

I did before, but I made the most retarded mistake of thinking a(b+1)=b(a+1). Sorry about that. Thanx

a<b. You can add any number to both sides of an inequality, it stays valid. Why not trying to add ab?

ehild

1. What is the purpose of proving inequality?

The purpose of proving inequality is to demonstrate that a certain statement or equation is always true, regardless of the specific values of the variables involved. This allows us to make generalizations and draw conclusions about a larger set of numbers or situations.

2. Can you explain the notation used in the inequality proof?

The notation a/b < (a+1)/(b+1) means that the value of a/b is always less than the value of (a+1)/(b+1). This is represented by the < symbol, which means "less than". The a and b represent variables, which can take on any numerical value. The inequality is also restricted to cases where b > a, meaning that the value of b must always be greater than the value of a.

3. What is the approach used to prove this particular inequality?

The approach used is called mathematical induction, which is a method of proof that involves showing that a statement is true for a specific case (in this case, when a = 1 and b = 2), and then proving that if it is true for a given case, it must also be true for the next case (in this case, a = k and b = k+1).

4. Why is it necessary to specify that b > a in the inequality?

Specifying that b > a is necessary because without this restriction, the inequality may not hold true. For example, if b = 1 and a = 2, then a/b is greater than (a+1)/(b+1). Therefore, in order to prove the inequality, we must specify that b > a.

5. Can this inequality be applied to all values of a and b?

Yes, this inequality can be applied to all values of a and b as long as b > a. This includes all positive, negative, and fractional values of a and b. However, it is important to note that the proof only holds true for b > a, and if this condition is not met, the inequality may not hold true.