Proving an Inequality: (1+a)q < q/(1-a) for a < 1 and Positive Real Numbers

• Thread starter grissom1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, you are trying to prove an inequality by substituting different values for a in order to see if there is a discrepancy, but you are not sure how to do it.
grissom1988
Hello to everyone. This is my first time here so I hope I will not cause any unwanted trouble.

Straight to the problem. I have one inequality for which I would like to prove, but I do not know how. The inequality has the following form:-

(1+a)q < q/(1-a), where a < 1 and q can be any positive real number.

Can someone hint me the direction to prove this? So far, I tried to tackle the inequality by substituting a with different real number smaller than 1, and there is no discrepancy to the inequality.

Physics news on Phys.org
grissom1988 said:
Hello to everyone. This is my first time here so I hope I will not cause any unwanted trouble.

Straight to the problem. I have one inequality for which I would like to prove, but I do not know how. The inequality has the following form:-

Can someone hint me the direction to prove this? So far, I tried to tackle the inequality by substituting a with different real number smaller than 1, and there is no discrepancy to the inequality.
If a < 1, then 1-a > 0, in other words 1-a is positive, so you can multiply both sides of the inequality by 1-a.

grissom1988 said:

Do you really need to keep the 'q'? In other words, as long as q > 0 can you just replace it by q = 1 and still have a true inequality?

RGV

grissom1988 said:

I am sorry because I did not put any solid calculation to my question. However, I found a solution to the inequality:-

Originally,

q = q

If I introduce (1-a^2) at the LHS,

(1-a^2)q < q, since a < 1

Also, (1-a^2) = (1+a)(1-a),

Hence (1+a)q < q/(1-a)

Is that a solid proof?

P/s: The q is an important quantity which cannot be deleted. Sorry that I did not mention it earlier.

grissom1988 said:
I am sorry because I did not put any solid calculation to my question. However, I found a solution to the inequality:-

Originally,

q = q

If I introduce (1-a^2) at the LHS,

(1-a^2)q < q, since a < 1

Also, (1-a^2) = (1+a)(1-a),

Hence (1+a)q < q/(1-a)

Is that a solid proof?

P/s: The q is an important quantity which cannot be deleted. Sorry that I did not mention it earlier.

You are getting the idea, but the proof still has holes. Here is why. You start with the statement you want to prove, then introduce some manipulations and end up with another statement that you know to be true. In other words, logically you have (Result) implies (some true statement). What you really need to do is go the other way: (some true statement) implies (Result). This is important, because it is possible to have a false statement imply a true one.

Also: your statement that it is important to keep q is wrong. For example, if q = 7 we want to show that 7(1+a) < 7/(1-a). Would it then not also be true that 5(1+a) < 5/(1-a), or 0.001(1+a) < 0.001/(1-a), or 1(1+a) < 1/(1-a)? Do you really think that the exact value of q contributes to the truth of the inequality? Of course, q must be positive.

RGV

1. How do you prove an inequality?

To prove an inequality, you must show that one side of the inequality is always greater than or equal to the other side. This can be done by using a variety of mathematical tools such as algebraic manipulation, calculus, or mathematical induction.

2. What are the common methods used to prove an inequality?

Some of the most commonly used methods to prove an inequality include the use of the properties of inequality, the use of mathematical operations, the use of counterexamples, and the use of mathematical induction.

3. Can you give an example of proving an inequality using mathematical induction?

Yes, an example of proving an inequality using mathematical induction is proving that n^2 < 2^n for all values of n greater than 4. This can be done by showing that the statement is true for the base case (n=5) and then showing that if the statement is true for n=k, then it is also true for n=k+1.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality?

Some common mistakes to avoid when proving an inequality include assuming what you are trying to prove, making incorrect assumptions or using incorrect properties of inequality, and not clearly explaining each step of your proof.

5. How do you know when an inequality is true?

An inequality is true if it follows the properties of inequality and if it can be proven to be true using mathematical tools. It is important to also consider any given restrictions or conditions when determining the truth of an inequality.