1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving An Inequality

1. Feb 13, 2016 #1
    Hello!
    Say we have an inequality that says that ##f(x, y)>c## where ##f(x, y)## is a function of two variables and ##c## is a constant. Assume that we know this inequality to be true when ##x=a## and ##y=b##. If you show that the partial derivatives of ##f(x, y)## with respect to ##x## and ##y## are both greater than zero, does that prove that ##f(x, y)>c## whenever ##x## is greater than or equal to ##a## and ##y## is greater than or equal to ##b##?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 13, 2016 #3
    The partial derivatives are positive in the regions ##x>a## and ##y>b##. They could be positive everywhere, but the above is what I think is important to proving that inequality. I could be wrong, though.

5. Feb 13, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

The mexican hat potential is a counterexample. Only that the derivatives in (0,0) are zero. But then one could define a pole there.
    All derivatives are positive, the function values let's say in a circle of radius r are all above c but not outside of it, i.e. for x,y > r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook